Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wanted to pick your guys brain on how u lock up your sticks,to your tree?i have 3 lok on stands and sticks on state land.the stands all have cable and locks but the sticks really dont have any way of locking them up.my only thought is to get a long cable and lok,wrap the crap out of them.i have a summit golaith climber,but the walk back would leave me pretty sweaty,so thats out the only other thing i can think of is to take them up and down as i use the stand and maybe stash them close by....so any tricks of the trade?

· Registered
368 Posts
i want to know the same thing, i put my treestand out 4 days ago and went out today to put some cable locks on the ladder stick and they were gone. they could of at least took the treestand to so i dont have to go buy another climbing stick to get it down, this is the reason i got out of hunting a few years ago and this year i decided to get back into it but after only 4 days the saga continues. :mad:

· Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow that really blows!!!!!!!!!!!!!well hopfully we can get some input.seems like the companys making these things would in corperate a way to lock them down.but no matter what,if a scum bag wants to take your stand and sticks he'll bring the tools to do so...i just dont want to be screwing around in the dark setting them up.although with my harness and linesman belt its a breeze..

· Registered
428 Posts
It is hard to explain but I will try. I went and bougth 20 feet of cable and some furls (s.p.?) I then snacked it through the holes where the straps for attaching it to the tree are at and made perment loops on both ends of my ladder. Then I wraped the cable around the bottom of the tree with a lock and run my cable from my tree stand through the top loop. It is about the best way I have found.

· Registered
368 Posts
i wounder what the fine is for using screw in steps? i dont like to make a habbit of breaking the law but after loosing over $800 in stands and ladders its kind of hard not to. i dont think anyone would bother taking the screw in steps because they are so cheep.

· Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So eyeson the cable is permently attached to the sticks?when u put them up or take them down the cable is ran through them always.just bundle them up and thats it uh?sounds like a good fix....any other ideas?

· Registered
609 Posts
I drilled a hole thru each joint where they slide together then on my private property where I have had the most problem I bolt the section together with anti-theft bolts that to get apart you need to chisel them off. Then on state land i run padlocks thru the section holes I made and then wrap a cable lock around them it makes it harder to carry out a 20 foot bolted together stick.

· Registered
428 Posts
Jim,
Yes the cable is a perment part of the ladder now. But I really don't have any problem with it. It is not the easiest thing to cut either. Last year my lock froze so I took a pair of good channel lock cutters with me and I couldn't get through the cable. I like the idea od indivudal locks on the ladder sections also. Just alot of locks and keys to keep track of.

· Registered
1,861 Posts
On state land, I make a ladder out of 2 x 4's with 2 x 2 rung's about 12" wide and either 16' or 18' long. I tie it to the tree and leave it. That way if someone steal's it I am only out about $15 -vs- $40 for a set of climbing stick's. I haven't had one stolen yet. I haven't seen a lock or cable yet that you couldn't cut in 2 second's with a pair of bolt cutter's.

· Registered
1,154 Posts
I leave my stand up, cable lock it, fold it up flat and take the bottom two climbing sticks out wioth me, and I am on private property,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I went to large towers 10 years ago, 14 feet up, enclosed and reinforced the area around the lock hasp.

· Registered
471 Posts
^^ same as i do. i leave the stand locked to the tree and take all the climbing sticks down everynite.

i use lone wolf sticks. to take them down and put them back up is simple and they are nothing to carry in and out every day/nite.

· Registered
717 Posts
I can't believe that there are so many cases of theft in the woods. You would think other hunters wouldn't steal their fellow sportsmans equipment.:smile-mad

· Registered
1,279 Posts
I gave up and just remove the ladder, disassemble it and hide it somewhere. I have even stashed them in a creek before. Sucks that there are so many thieves out there but somehow they justify to themselves that its ok too steal when in the woods.

· Registered
4,730 Posts
It is not other hunters, I firmly believe that anti-hunters walk the woods looking for stands to steal. Trying to protect the poor deer.
that may be part of it as well but there are others . . maybe high school kids who dont want to spend the money so they justify it by stealing . . or maybe others who may not be kids doing the same thing. . cheap asses with no respect. .

a coupel have pointed out good ideas. . you can go get locks and sometimes get them with the same keys, or its cheap and get a locksmith to key them alike. . its well worth it if you have several pairs of climbing stick. . put a key on your keyring, and then another in your gun safe. . my point on someone carrying a pair of bolt cutters into the woods to go through all of that effort to take my climbing sticks and stand, then they can have it. . if they are dumb enough to walk through the woods with botl cutters, and wanna go through all that much effort, then screw em. .

· Registered
1,198 Posts
I bolt each section of stick together and put an eyebolt at the top. My cable goes around my stand and through the eyebolt at the top of the stick..

They will get it if they want it bad enough. So to get mine they have to have a couple wrenchs and a bolt cutter for the cable.

· Registered
746 Posts
A few years ago I put my stand up just before the opener and took my sticks with me. Stand was secluded in among some pines real well. Walked in for my first hunt with my sticks on my shoulder and couldn't find my stand in the dark. It wasn't there! Found part of the lock at the bottom of the tree. Bolt cutters took care of the lock and my $300 treestand was gone. Spent most of the rest of the season walking around looking up in trees hoping to find it. This was on state land. My son had one stolen last year on private. They took stand and sticks. Wish I could catch them just once. Sure would be fun!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.