Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

What is the best way to hide a trail cam? Check out one of my latest articles below for the complete story.

http://www.whitetailhabitatsolutions.com/blog/top-tips-to-hide-trail-cams/

However...my two favorite options are using an old stump like picture above....or hanging them high, like pictured below.

What are yours? I personally do not like cables and boxes because they become very easy to see. And as someone who has been a victim of having a camera vandalized...it can still happen! I prefer using natural and creative ways to hide trail cams...in particular elevation!

Can you spot the trail cam in the pic below? At about 12' high it is just difficult enough to climb into, and places it will above the site line of a crook.

·
Premium Member
16,559 Posts
I like the stump method when i can find them or material to make them. I also hang em high on state land( 2 lone wolf sticks high). I use fishing line instead of straps. and then bend a couple saplings down to conceal it.

·
Premium Member
16,559 Posts
Also, I have an ole moultrie that dont work I've been meaning to decoy with a note locked inside saying congrats you just ripped off a worthless cam and i just sent your pic to the sheriff.:p

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, I have an ole moultrie that dont work I've been meaning to decoy with a note locked inside saying congrats you just ripped off a worthless cam and i just sent your pic to the sheriff.:p
That's awesome! :D I have a client who did something similar with a giant shed attached to the ground with a cable, with a cell phone cam nearby.

I like the stick idea too...anything to keep the honest honest!

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also hang-em high on public land, but then sometimes the cameras need a tilt to look down, or all you get are pics of branches moving.
I agree, the article talks about using sticks for shims, or camera arms. I show a picture of a home-made tree attachment u have used, but personally like to use tree branches for shims. In the picture if the cam hanging high, there is a about a 3/4" shim behind the top of the cam.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Some of the areas I want to hang a cam on public get hunted at night by coon hunters soI always worry about the flash giving them away. The black out ones seem like a way to get by this too. Hanging them high I havent had a any trouble with them.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some of the areas I want to hang a cam on public get hunted at night by coon hunters soI always worry about the flash giving them away. The black out ones seem like a way to get by this too. Hanging them high I havent had a any trouble with them.
The blackouts have been outstanding! I actually preferred flash over red bulb IR...of course not when it came to hiding it from thieves.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Only works if you have a cell phone cam or you can get back there before they read your note and find your other camera.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I like the idea of using some screw in tree pegs to get the camera up high. I was thinking about leaving my cam in the UP between May and August and that is probably the method I would use if I do end up doing it.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Something to think about. One thing with the stump method or any other method where you put something in from of the cam (sensor).....my Moultrie 990i's have like a 110 or 120 degree sensing range. If you put something in front of the sensor, you may reduce the cams pic or video capability. The 990i will sense a target and start recording before the target comes into the screen view L-R or R-L. This is by design so you do not miss anything. Other cams that have a rounded sensor face will also have a wide sensing range.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Lol- I was thinking of doing the same thing except I want to put skunk piss in it. When they get back to their vehicle and open it they will regret stealing my worthless, 35mm, Stealth cam. Skunk piss on them and their seats!

·
Premium Member
16,559 Posts
Lol- I was thinking of doing the same thing except I want to put skunk piss in it. When they get back to their vehicle and open it they will regret stealing my worthless, 35mm, Stealth cam. Skunk piss on them and their seats!
Skunk piss would be pretty awesome. Fill a vile plug the end with a cork with a fishing wire attached to the cork and door, tape the vile in place and voila,skunk piss all over the bastards.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Well,

Im all about busting the thief that is not only breaking the law with the theft, but also trespassing, and probably poaching (usually goes hand in hand). Taking them to task is very fulfilling, Ive had two such experiences. I can't stand a thief, with poaching right up there and trespassing is 1B. I will go sooo far out of my way to bust them. As far as spending several nights out in the bush to get them. I will show up and giggle my ash off as they get sentenced. Forget the fines, I want time!!! Oh ya, I will be in that court room!!!! Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I think this has been posted, debated, and debunked a billion times before -

1 - 16 of 16 Posts