Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 18, my brother is 26. We both want to hunt together and are looking to start next year. We were unsure if we should begin with small game, deerhunting, or another kind of hunting. He has experience with a rifle, I have none. We both do not have alot of money to spend on hunting and dislike the cold. We already own one shotgun. Any advice? Need more info, just let me know

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
First of all, welcome to the site!

Hunting doesn't have to cost alot of money. Since you guys don't like the cold I'd start hunting squirrels in September and then eventually move to bigger game. But first you do need to take a hunter safety class, usually it costs 5 - 10 bucks and you learn alot and it IS mandatory before you can buy a lisence. This summer take your guns to a shooting range and practice, practice, practice! Stay in touch and maybe I can show you guys some stuff this fall:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the warm welcome. We both plan to eat what we kill. There are hunting safety classes in the summer correct? Also, since he already owns a shotgun, should i buy one and both start with small game?

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Yes there's hunter's safety classes all through the summer. You can buy a shotgun if you'd like but there's nothin wrong with sharing also. If you'd like a good small game gun, walmart and dunham's sells .22 caliber rifles for $90 and under.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
ZC,
Welcome Michigan-Sportsman.com

I'd second the idea of learning to hunt squirrels. Using a .22 w/ scope, they are great beginner's fair. You can start in September, but you'll have an easier time in later October as the leaves fall........maybe!

From there I'd go to rabbits, using still hunting and brush busting tactics. For t his I'd recommend a shotgun, single shot is fine.

Be sure to become well acquanted with your firearm and discuss safety before each hunt with your hunting partners.

Treat all weapons as if they were loaded.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I just shot my first squirrel in October and I concur--it's a blast. I also recommend an inexpensive .22 with a scope.

If you're at all uncertain about eating squirrels, send me a PM. I can always use extra rifle-shot, squirrels to feed my bird over the summer.

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
With shotguns you and your brother can also hunt birds besides the squirrels and rabbits.

Also, welcome to the site!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bird hunting also takes place in Sept/Oct correct? Bird hunting seems to be really fun aswell. Such as duck, quail, goose, etc. I think what i shall do is buy a Shotgun. Therefor, i can hunt small game and bird hunting. I can always buy a Rifle later down the road if i decide to move up to bigger game.

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
Two brothers hunting with shotguns is way kewl.

Waterfowl, (ducks and geese) pheasants, grouse, woodcock and maybe doves soon, could all be taken with them in September and October. Take the Hunter Safety Classes and buy a small game tag - the sky's the limit after that.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Yep, squirrels are the way to go. We have a annual squirrel camp every fall. Great weather, lots of action and darn good eatin.

Hawker !! Bite your tounge !! Give me those squirrels and I'll trade ya for a chicken to feed your bird. :)

G

·
Without a doubt, Squirrels!

I too recommend buying a .22 to go with you shotgun.

Get your hunter safety cert. and practice shooting.

When squirrel season opens on Sept. 15 head for the woods. MI has lots of state land that you can hunt on. Find out what an Oak tree and its leaves look like and go find some in the woods, squirrels will be close buy.

Also, look for their nests up high in the trees, thats a good indicator that you are in a good area. Do not shot up into the nest, despite what some people say, it is illegal.

Remember the two most important things - be safe & have fun.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I started with a single shot 410 chasing rabbits. I don't have any regrets. From there I went to a marlin .22, and then on to shotgun, bow and arrow, muzzle loader. Its funny how something so small develops so quick. Enjoy, welcome to the site, and good luck.

-Be safe

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Originally posted by Zerocool749
Bird hunting also takes place in Sept/Oct correct? Bird hunting seems to be really fun aswell. Such as duck, quail, goose, etc. I think what i shall do is buy a Shotgun. Therefor, i can hunt small game and bird hunting. I can always buy a Rifle later down the road if i decide to move up to bigger game.
The nice thing about the shotgun, is you can hunt pretty much any legal animal in the state with it. Use shot for birds, squirrels, and rabbits, etc, then switch to slugs for deer, bear, elk. Best bang for the buck for an all around MI hunting gun.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Whatever season thats open!!!
Squirrel can teach a lot about hunting,
After safety the two most important rules are, Sit still, and silence is golden (keep quiet)
after that the rest will come.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Originally posted by PITBULL
Squirrel can teach a lot about hunting,
Absolutely!

Another aspect of squirrel hunting is the fact that they are "callable" with a minimum of expertise. Calling squirrels is a ton of fun and easy to learn.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Good point, Whit1. That's what hooked me on turkey hunting.

Squirrels are an aim and shoot target, perfect for a .22. Shotgun kills require that wonderful pellet hunt I never seem to master.

Tom, Tyson is for people, my treerats are for bird. Seriously, you can actually kill a hawk by feeding it nothing but chicken or even rabbit. Meat's not nutritious enough. Hawks need lots of organ meat--preferably from rodents. Treerats are perfect. I'm always looking for more bushytail meat for the times when Choc's molting or laid up with a nasty squirrel bite. And I know there's would be squirrel hunters out there whose families won't eat bushytails. So send them my way!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Being self-taught, one thing I learned quickly is that you can't read the rule book enough. You don't want a CO pointing out something you missed then giving you a "thank you" note:(

Steve

1 - 18 of 18 Posts