Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What was the best tip someone gave you or the most useful learning experience you encountered in 2003?

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
I learned that if you have a porcupine tangled in the rope that you use to raise/lower your bow into the treestand...there is probably a big 6 point nearby that will get spooked when you try to get him untangled. There is a long story relating to this hunt but I will save it for another time!

If that made any sense at all...it reinforced the concept of minimizing movement on the stand even under the most unusual of circumstances!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I like to think that every time I go out I learn something new. For 2003 the biggest thing I learned was at bow camp hunting elk.... pack more food! A half a can of soup and one piece of bread a day just dosn't get it!

·
Registered
26,599 Posts
My friend always takes his 3-D target to his tree stands and dials in his bow. I always thought he was silly (I have many harvests in my years).
This year, out of this one stand, The bucks always came behind me. Not the best but a makeable shot. First try, hit a limb. #2 & #3 trys and I missed.
I probably won't try every stand, but i have to see what the heck is going on at this one. So I will take my target out there over the holidays to see if I can understand what was up.

Moral: There is no such thing as a sure thing, and when it comes to bow hunting, if something bad can happen, it will.

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
Nice one Trout:cool: I think this year the best one I learned this year was where to sit on my property during the season. I use to just put one stand up and sit there all year. Early in the season I had always seen deer come out in the corners of the field so I would sit there all year. After the first week of the season the deer never showed. This year I learned on the second week of the season to move to staging areas, next move was the acorn drop. Boy was that a good one. The next spot when they stoped going there was to move to where fruit bearing trees were for the fruit drop.
I have seen more deer all year long as a result. I never adapted before, even though I knew these things I never applied them until this year. SO APPLY WHAT YOU KNOW!:eek: ;) :cool:

·
Registered
36,085 Posts
Make sure you buy enough antlerless tags or make sure your friends that you invite follow through with thier antlerless tag purchase.

I did not harvest nearly enough mature does to even make a dent in the population.

·
Registered
668 Posts
The best tip I received this year was : "feed your crickets bananas and/or banana peels" seemed to catch more and bigger Gills (and the crickets smell better)!
A runner up was posted a few days ago on the site: "Use paper clips for ice drill shims". Both winners!

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
I learn the same three lessons every deer season,,,, DON"T MOVE, DON"T MOVE & DON"T MOVE!!!!!

Sailor, can you elaborate on the "paper clip shims"??

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Ever since I began rifle deer hunting, I was under the assumption that shooting a deer after the first couple days would be nearly impossible, especially in the hard hunted areas I hunt. This year we (my dad my brother and I) took three bucks and a big doe. Nothing until the fourth day. I shot a doe on the fourth day. My dad got his Buck on the 5th day. My brother shot his on the sixth day. I shot my eight point on the10th day. Have faith boys!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Decoys for whitetail deer work! Need to study your set up, deer approaches and be okay with spooking a few, but it paid off for me!

·
Registered
9,854 Posts
I learned a ton about archery hunting, which is, how hard it is to draw without being seen! That, and choosing the right moment to draw.

I had a real fun season, saw lots of deer during archery, and killed my first buck during firearms. Looking forward to next year!

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Dont underestimate a young hunter. One of the guys at deer camp got a 14 pointer with his bow. Hes 17.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I hunt both here in Ohio and in northern Mighigan{my heart is in northern Michigan}. I usually go to Mi. for the first week of Oct. and back for another week the first week of November. This year I took a 4 point and a 9 point the first week of season so with no buck tag I stayed home the second trip. I own 6 acres and have an over grown Christmas tree farm next door that is 12 acres. I have a few trees in my back corner where I leave a ladder stand up year around. Well I work till 4:30 and sometimes 5 and that doesn't leave much time to hunt. A farmer that comes into my shop told me about having a crop damage problem and was issued 5 doe permits and of which he gave me 2. With only having an hour at the most to hunt after work I was not real excited about my two hunting choices. I had not got my fill of bowhunting this year so 30 to 60 minutes on a stand is better than nothing. To make a long story shorter I took 2 does on the farmers place and a doe and my best buck so far at my place. I saw the buck 7 times and got him Sunday a week ago after Christmas shopping all afternoon with my wife and only 45 minutes till dark. The buck is a 10 point with a high rack. The moral of the story is hunt even if you have only 45 minutes becauce the last 30 minutes are usually the best anyway. I always felt if I didn't have 2 hours to hunt it wasn't worth the time . WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!!! Ps. Last Friday I took a coyote off of the bucks gut pile. Shot it with my 22 Hornet at 138 paces.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
First and most importent is what trout said. And by doing that you will find that you are not only the teacher, but at times you are also the student. Kids are so willing to learn and in the process you will learn so much. The best learning experence I had this year was when my son, 12 yrs, showed me how to use the "CAN" and a grunt call in combination to call in does, which were fun to watch, but best of all when he called in the 7 pt. that I shot.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
When you have the biggest buck of your life step out in front of you, make sure the end of your gun barrel is not obstructed by a large tree branch even though you have a scope full of hair and vitals when you touch off. DOH!!!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Being relatively new to deer hunting (4 years), I've been blessed to have some good friends that are VERY WISE and experienced. When they talk, I SHUT UP AND LISTEN. You can learn a ton from others! (including others in this site)

Don't ever feel like you know it all ..... AND LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
If you pass up on a good shot early in the season, you will only regret it later. Actually, I learned that last year, and applied it this year.

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Don't decide to skip a season in Illinois. Bad move. It was made worse by hearing all the great stories from the friends that did go this year. Looks like I'd better start socking some money away for the 2004 Illinois license/food fund and racking up credits on the honey-do list! ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts