Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to take my 13 year old son out on public land in Jackson Cty and Washtenaw Cty for some squirrels, what time of the day is best for action?
Will be using a .22 and shotgun.
Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
18,244 Posts
The locals here are most active at shortly after first light and an hour or so following.
Calm weather pattern.
A hawk was harassing one this morning.
Mid day not as active and evening there is activity the last couple hours of light.
One young one does a lot of tree running each morning when first active while another sibling works the ground.

·
Always a season
3,193 Posts
Morning and for the first couple hours or more depending on the weather. They tend to be more active if it warmer and sunny.

Find some oak trees sit down and wait. Try not to use the shotgun, the big boom tends to send them running.

If it is windy try to get a spot out of the wind. Wind and cold = no squirrels.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Patman. Today would have been a good day, but this necessary evil called work cuts into my time to get out. 😡 Hope the weather is good on the 1st or the weekend.

·
Registered
524 Posts
If its a nice calm day sit under a few big oaks and pinch 2 quarters together "tail sides together" and squeeze and rub them around. Works everytime ;-)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Just make sure the quarters have good edges on them so y he click n grind. Sounds like a squirrel eating. Been doing this for years.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Heard of this tip, also works with anything and a screw but not as effectively

1 - 12 of 12 Posts