Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,
I'm working on putting together an article for a local publication on some of the best places to go fishing in the West Michigan area. The publication is based out of the Grand Haven-Holland area, but I'm open to any and all suggestions.

I don't want to give away anyone's secret hot spots, but I was wondering if anyone had particularly good luck in a certain body of water.

Also, we are publishing a weekly fishing report and would love to add some photos of local anglers, so if you guys have any photos hauling in a bass, walleye, pike, etc., I would be happy to add you to our weekly showcase.

Thanks!

·
Banned
4,891 Posts
N.O.P.E but good luck. :lol:

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
Hey everybody,
I'm working on putting together an article for a local publication on some of the best places to go fishing in the West Michigan area. The publication is based out of the Grand Haven-Holland area, but I'm open to any and all suggestions.

I don't want to give away anyone's secret hot spots, but I was wondering if anyone had particularly good luck in a certain body of water.

Also, we are publishing a weekly fishing report and would love to add some photos of local anglers, so if you guys have any photos hauling in a bass, walleye, pike, etc., I would be happy to add you to our weekly showcase.

Thanks!
If you can tell us what your publication is, it will lend some credibility to your request. Posting your first message ever on here at 1AM would raise some suspicion that this may instead be a tactic to find some good spots for you to hit this year. Much of the community on here freely gives information of the type you requested to others who are active on here volunteering their own information. Give and you shall receive.

·
Registered
18,945 Posts
An outdoor writer mentioned a water I did alright in. (No ,not due to ,or about me.)
Then mentioned it again.
The water became an absolute zoo....Free beer would have attracted fewer people. And the water (and the fishery ) was not suitable to such pressure.

The best place to go ,is one you find yourself through research (discreetly ,because if it is published as a hot spot ,it is hammered as a hot spot) and exploration following that research.
It is not where the masses stampede to following a report.
You already knew if it was. And have other sites your diligence and exploration confirmed suitable to your preferred fish ,and fishing methods.

Otherwise ,only mention great sized bodies of water based on their size allowing lots of fishing pressure!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is the publication?
The Grand Haven Tribune. We're putting together a Lakeshore Living section in the next two weeks and I wanted to get some perspective from people who fish a lot more than myself. There's no hidden agenda here, I just thought I would ask. As for the 1 a.m. thing, that's when I get out of work. I know the media gets a bad rap these days, but I don't understand the hostility.

·
Registered
18,945 Posts
Henry Zeman was tops. For good reason.

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
Ok let me break it down for ya.
Lake Missaukee
Burt Lake
Lake Mitchell
Houghton Lake
Black Lake

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
Some of those waters require extensive portaging to get there from Grand Haven, but technically doable.

It might be easier to stick to the lower Grand River system and it’s bayous. Great fishing for most of Michigan’s gamefish species.

The OP should do a report on the Grand Have Scum Classic. It should be coming up in a few weeks.

·
Registered
5,382 Posts

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
Help our your local charter fleet and call a few of the captain's for lake michigan. Plenty to choose from that live and charter out of grand haven.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Rivers are underutilized and provide a great option for those without fancy boats, all of our famous silver fish rivers from the Manistee on south also have really good warm water fishing. Many options within an easy drive of Grand Haven.

You may have already asked the DNR in Plainwell but if not... Also the DNR has required registration for bass tournaments and the most popular lakes are coincidentally usually good fishing, too. You can find that at the DNR page.

The DNR stocking page lists every place they put fish by species or location. Great resource for finding fish that aren't as common as bass and bluegill. The lakes that have been stocked the longest have a fair chance of having the best survival rates and the best fishing.

Don't forget to hype the free fishing weekend June 9 & 10. The whole point of that is to get more people into or back into fishing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts