Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was looking to get a new spoon rod and possibly a new jiggin rap rod. Preferably it would be a blank that I can build. Any suggestions would be great.

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
i was looking to get a new spoon rod and possibly a new jiggin rap rod. Preferably it would be a blank that I can build. Any suggestions would be great.
For small spoons and small jiggin raps would be a different choice than say bigger spoons and raps for eyes for me. Don't know what any difference would be in a rod for either choice in my opinion. Vs. Spoon/rap rod...other than choice of lure.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think the Sportsman Direct carbon extreme taper walleye special blank or the DH big boy noodle blank would both fit the bill. Some of my favorite rods were built with sportsman's direct blanks and single foot fly guides, although the tip top guide is a pain to tie on the noodle tips. You could also hand sand a blank if you cant find one you like.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the Sportsman Direct carbon extreme taper walleye special blank or the DH big boy noodle blank would both fit the bill. Some of my favorite rods were built with sportsman's direct blanks and single foot fly guides, although the tip top guide is a pain to tie on the noodle tips. You could also hand sand a blank if you cant find one you like.

Thanks for the reply. After reading through some other forums site I’ve been leaning towards the SD blanks. Hopefully they have some in stock and I can go check em out sometime next week.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought a turn key kit from Mudhole to get my feet wet. Going to build a few ice rods and see if I like it.

Hey @Bay BornNRaised didnt see your until you brought it up.... looking for something a little more sensitive and responsive then the ol’ uglystik

·
Registered
942 Posts
I guess you didn't appreciate my reply.... All good. Ugly sticks work Great!
I agree. I've had some for years. For a rod that's been around for a long time, it has good sensitivity and virtually indestructible. Remember the commercials of them getting stepped on and slammed in doors? Many years and miles on the ice have broke a lot of rods in my day before the rod cases I use now, but don't ever remember a broken ugly stick. .02

1 - 8 of 8 Posts