Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for somewhere within 45 minutes of Midland to pick up some cereal grains. I order all of my small seed from Welter Seed in IA, but do not order the cereal grains through them. My local grain elevator has some that I've used for years, but I would like to try somewhere else. Looking for Winter Wheat, Winter Rye, Oats, and Austrian Winter Peas.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,444 Posts
Wait a week or two.

New crop is being harvested or about to be. It'll be brought to the mill, screened, and bagged. You can then buy new seed.....and not leftover inventory from the 2020 harvest.

My neighbors just started bringing in their wheat crop on Monday (day before yesterday). It's been ripe enough, and low moisture enough to bring in the week before; however, we've had just enough small amounts of rain to hinder harvest.

But it is Katy-bar-the-door right now. A lot of combines are in the field. A big harvest in underway.

Rye is not grown commercially around here. It seems just to be a niche crop aimed at he 'deer-dirt' market. So I can't speak to how its harvest is going. It is certainly ready to be brought into the bin .....judging by my germination test on my own 'deer-dirt' rye.

By the way, --for wheat---it looks like a bin-buster season. Crops are really heavy. Among the best I've ever seen.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Standish Milling had winter peas and oats but were out of rye.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36,339 Posts
I called my Aroostook rye supplier today. No 2021 seed yet but I can get 2020 seed for $4 more per bag than I paid for the same seed as last August.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mind if I ask who that’s from? Your previous posts about this rye has me wanting to try it this year but it’s nowhere local for me. (Mid Michigan)

I called my Aroostook rye supplier today. No 2021 seed yet but I can get 2020 seed for $4 more per bag than I paid for the same seed as last August.

·
Registered
36,339 Posts
Hardies Seed and Feed north of Hillman. It’s non certified seed from 2020. I can get it cleaned for $45/hr at another mill.

·
Premium Member
7,793 Posts
You might want to check with Freeland Bean & Grain also.
(989) 695-9131

1000 E WashingtonFreeland, MI 48623

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Wait a week or two.

New crop is being harvested or about to be. It'll be brought to the mill, screened, and bagged. You can then buy new seed.....and not leftover inventory from the 2020 harvest.

My neighbors just started bringing in their wheat crop on Monday (day before yesterday). It's been ripe enough, and low moisture enough to bring in the week before; however, we've had just enough small amounts of rain to hinder harvest.

But it is Katy-bar-the-door right now. A lot of combines are in the field. A big harvest in underway.

Rye is not grown commercially around here. It seems just to be a niche crop aimed at he 'deer-dirt' market. So I can't speak to how its harvest is going. It is certainly ready to be brought into the bin .....judging by my germination test on my own 'deer-dirt' rye.

By the way, --for wheat---it looks like a bin-buster season. Crops are really heavy. Among the best I've ever seen.
It's happening right now

·
Registered
293 Posts
Looking for somewhere within 45 minutes of Midland to pick up some cereal grains. I order all of my small seed from Welter Seed in IA, but do not order the cereal grains through them. My local grain elevator has some that I've used for years, but I would like to try somewhere else. Looking for Winter Wheat, Winter Rye, Oats, and Austrian Winter Peas.

Thanks!
Sweeney Seed in Mt. Pleasant should have some for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Standish said they'd have more winter rye in stock in the coming week. I actually bought their product (at a 5 dollar mark up) here in Oxford. Apparently they supply other stores.

·
Registered
12,883 Posts
The mills in Fowler or Carson City will have it soon if not yet. It's never been a problem finding it there in the month of August.

·
Registered
411 Posts

Thanks!
Freeland Bean and grain has had a great selection in years past. I also like Standish mill.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Have you checked in Coleman at Ittner's? Or, in Clare at Johnston Elevator? Both are within your distance and should have something on hand. McKimmey Ag Services in Gladwin would have it as well but is further away.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Called Sweeney Seed in Mt. Pleasant this morning (07-30-21) & the 2021 cereal rye seed isn’t in yet.

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Standish has it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts