Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In search of a new slug gun. What are the best options for 2020/2021. Leaning toward Remington's Super Slug 870. Not fond of single shots, almost eliminates chances of doubles.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I'm fond of my TC Encore 12 gauge.

I have a mossberg that's a tack driver out to 150 also. It's also pretty forgiving on a variety of slugs
image.jpg

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've got a Remington 12 ga. 870 with slug barrel for 2 3/4" shells and it has a 2 X 7 Leupold on top of it. Hits right on the money with Remington Copper Solids (which uses Barnes Expander MZ bullets) all the way out to 50 yards and then drops 5"-6" low at 100 yards. Deadly accurate gun.

·
Registered
555 Posts
The Savage 220 and 212 bolt action slug guns have a good reputation for accuracy. The model 220 20 gauge is plenty for deer within 125 yards or so and recoils lighter than the model 212 12 gauge.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Remington 870 is my favorite pump for hunting and shooting. I'm not saying it's the best or most accurate it's what I went to after my single barrel, haven't any idea how many I own anymore, memory not that sharp but I just acquired another one 2 months ago.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Unfortunately it's not made anymore, but my H&R ultra 20 ga is as accurate at 100 yds as my Ruger 450 is. Everyone who has used it has never needed a 2nd shot. These days I let my 15 year old nephew use it. Shot his 1st deer this year with it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
No scope yet. Hunt in the swail behind the house. Thirty to fifty yard shots open sights. Got an old 500 mossberg with a ported, rifled, cantilear scoped barrel. Shooting sst hornady slugs, right on at 100 yards when I hunt my field.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Savage 212 is very accurate, my Dad has one and it’s been a great gun. I have a Marlin bolt action that is also good. I don’t think they make them anymore though. The thing I like about the bolt actions is the barrel is threaded to the receiver like a rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35,285 Posts
The best is Tarhunt, second Browning A bolt and third is the Savage bolt. Dollar for dollar Savage is hard to beat. It’s a tool vs a work of art vs the Tarhunt Envy.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I have a Remington 870 Special Purpose, 3" Magnum. Very versatile gun, for slug hunting, I have the cantilever rifled barrel w/scope. I use the Remington Copper Solids in 3", absolutely smashes deer. Unscrew the nut, take the slug barrel off, put the Rem-choke barrel on and go. I find no difference when I put the barrel on year after year, zero hasn't moved at all.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I think anything with a fully rifled barrel is like six of one half doz of another. With the new laws I don’t really get going out and buying a new slug gun but to each their own. I guess it gives me hope as I’ve got a single barrel fully rifled and scoped slug gun that I figured I would have to give away. Maybe it’s worth something.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Kind of partial to my Ithaca Deer slayers. the three inch slug post intrigued me, went up to check, And lo and behold I got a couple. guess I should pay more attention to details in the future. I have a Browning that is a Ithaca clone, never shot it though so I will reserve an opinion

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I think anything with a fully rifled barrel is like six of one half doz of another. With the new laws I don’t really get going out and buying a new slug gun but to each their own. I guess it gives me hope as I’ve got a single barrel fully rifled and scoped slug gun that I figured I would have to give away. Maybe it’s worth something.

Is it an H&R ultra slug hunter in 20 ga? I will buy it from ya if it is.

Reactions: snortwheeze
1 - 20 of 49 Posts