Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well folks, I did what I thought would have been impossible...I found an Armour Alloy plated 44 mag barrel for my TC Contender.

So my quest for an AR15 for deer hunting just went out the window. Now I'm able to focus totally on my perfect mobile north woods hunting platform.

So here's the deal, I need a quality scope that'll last my lifetime for this rig. Lots and lots of shots! So lets here it...what do you all recommend. I assume it's going to be Leupold...But what model?

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Well folks, I did what I thought would have been impossible...I found an Armour Alloy plated 44 mag barrel for my TC Contender.

So my quest for an AR15 for deer hunting just went out the window. Now I'm able to focus totally on my perfect mobile north woods hunting platform.

So here's the deal, I need a quality scope that'll last my lifetime for this rig. Lots and lots of shots! So lets here it...what do you all recommend. I assume it's going to be Leupold...But what model?
I'm thinking on getting me a scope for my TC Contender 45 colt barrel. I'm thinking 2 power Leupold.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
The 2X Leupold is the gold standard for HG scopes. In 44mag even the Contender is not considered a "long range" weapon. If most of your shots are 100 yards and under 2X is all you need. If you plan on shooting off hand then 2X will keep your sight picture steadier too. If you want to stretch it and will use a rest 4X is okay too. Never had much use for the variables, too much cost for the perceived benefits.The Leupold just does not seem to break on louden boomers. The mount is just as important as the scope. Clamping surface is what is needed. You cannot go wrong with the SSK T'SOB. Got one on my Smith 29 and one of my 454s and they are stellar.

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
454, as usual, has great advice however, if you have any other barrels that have the capability of reaching much further than the 44, the Leupold VX-3 in 2.5x8 mounted on the SSK mount with Warne QD rings would be another option (one I would embrace). Up close and personal with the 44, just leave it at 2 1/2, 200+ yards at a chuck with the 223 barrel, dial it up (as long as you have a good, very stable rest). Saves a lot of money as you accumulate various caliber barrels, just swap the scope to whatever you happen to be shooting that day.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
454, as usual, has great advice however, if you have any other barrels that have the capability of reaching much further than the 44, the Leupold VX-3 in 2.5x8 mounted on the SSK mount with Warne QD rings would be another option (one I would embrace). Up close and personal with the 44, just leave it at 2 1/2, 200+ yards at a chuck with the 223 barrel, dial it up (as long as you have a good, very stable rest). Saves a lot of money as you accumulate various caliber barrels, just swap the scope to whatever you happen to be shooting that day.
As a revolver only guy I get a little myopic at times. The Contender/Encores are far more versatile driving different scopes and mounting configs...

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have been shooting contenders for years in various calibers from 22 Hornet to 44 mag and have tried a lot of scopes.

If your eyes are getting old like mine I think you will find the 2X too low in power. 4X in a fixed power is about as low as as I would go for any caliber.

As for brand, I have never been able to justify the cost of Leupolds. I have used Weavers, currently a 2.5-8X28, Thompson 2-8X28 and Bushnell Trophys in 2-6X28 and Burris, never had any problems with any of them.

Bottom line is in my opinion, a variable scope is much more versatile. I have tried a few fixed power scopes and always went back to the variables.
As for mounts, I have always used Warne bases and rings, rock solid and easy to mount, never had any problems.

Good luck with your new barrel whichever you choose, contenders are a blast to shoot, I can spend hours at the range just shooting my 22 Hornet. I can't handle the recoil of the 44 anymore and have dropped back to a 357 max. and 357 Mag.

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
You're probably correct, up to a 44 nearly any scope should work however, once you cross that threshold, the Leupold & Bushnell are about the only ones that, day in and day out, don't lose their zero and don't have "squiggly" lines that start moving accross the reticle. My "way too expensive" Burris on the 50 Alaskan began shedding internal parts after about 200 rounds. Sure, it was repaired but nobody needs the aggravation. The 270, '08 and '06 have a different, sharper recoil. Not as punishing as a few of the big bores but at the very limit for lesser scopes. While I love the Warne QD rings, I wouldn't think of putting any mount other than the SSK T'SOB on my Encore barrels. For many calibers they're not necessarily needed but with the 50AK, trust me, you need all the help you can get!

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well folks, I scored a Leupold FXII handgun scope for 225.00 in fixed 4x.

Now...I've read alot on the importance of scope mount, especially on this thread alone. Here's another loaded question...

What's ya'lls preferred scope mount for your contender/encore? I've tried searching for the TSOB but can't find any reference to a scope mount...just barrels and other misc custom parts.

Quick disconnect means nothing to me...this firearm will not change once it's assembled and sighted in. It's a deer gun, period.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Well folks, I scored a Leupold FXII handgun scope for 225.00 in fixed 4x.

Now...I've read alot on the importance of scope mount, especially on this thread alone. Here's another loaded question...

What's ya'lls preferred scope mount for your contender/encore? I've tried searching for the TSOB but can't find any reference to a scope mount...just barrels and other misc custom parts.

Quick disconnect means nothing to me...this firearm will not change once it's assembled and sighted in. It's a deer gun, period.
QD rings are nice to have when you break the weapon down to clean it. No scope in the way. Just sayin.

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
Look up SSK Industries and give them a call. By the way "T'SOB" stands for "Tough Son Of a B...." in case you were wondering and, to say the least, it is!

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ha...I actually thought that right off the bat.

Actually, there's a three ring mount and screws up on the auction site right now that I'm going to try and get. Closes in 5hrs. If that fails, I'm going to keep it local and just set up a trip to Mag-na-port to get the SSK and also have my scope mounted and bore-sighted.

Then, maybe in a couple of years I'll have that beast Mag-Na-Ported. Can't get too much done this year, I've already down graded my recurve/longbow collection to one to pay for this stuff.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Ha...I actually thought that right off the bat.

Actually, there's a three ring mount and screws up on the auction site right now that I'm going to try and get. Closes in 5hrs. If that fails, I'm going to keep it local and just set up a trip to Mag-na-port to get the SSK and also have my scope mounted and bore-sighted.

Then, maybe in a couple of years I'll have that beast Mag-Na-Ported. Can't get too much done this year, I've already down graded my recurve/longbow collection to one to pay for this stuff.[/QUOTE]
Only ONE??? You'll enjoy the gun. Porting is well worth it but with that gun and the scope recoil will not be an issue.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yessir, only one. I have my black beauty from St Joe River bows right here outta Michigan...my other ones were just dust collectors.

I've been perusing the idea of using a handgun for deer hunting for a couple of years now. It's finally all coming together now. I'm very excited to hopefully have a tag left for the firearm deer season this year.

Having my Contender with a super 14" 44mag barrel in my bandolier holster while using my tree saddle will allow me to get a loooong way off the beaten path. Dumping a 10lb rifle to something that weighs less than 2 will be huge in my mobility.

I just picked up a coyote brown Kelty Strike 2300 that easily carries my treesaddle, extra layers, and any other hunting necessities without being too bulky of a pack. I'm able to use the beaver tail on the pack to stuff my extra layers and make them easily accessible, and the zipperless pouches on both sides could easily take a leather holster for me to carry my Contender when not using the bandolier.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
The manuverability with a HG is a great feeling. It will allow you to go places you might avoid otherwise with a long gun. You know what practice is all about, treat the HG like you would your recurves. Shoot them often. They are a lot of fun. When you start handloading it gets even better!

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The manuverability with a HG is a great feeling. It will allow you to go places you might avoid otherwise with a long gun. You know what practice is all about, treat the HG like you would your recurves. Shoot them often. They are a lot of fun. When you start handloading it gets even better!
Yeah, handloading will be a little ways down the road. I've got a few boxes of some of the more recommended factory loads that I'm going to run through the ringer...In all of the places I hunt I have opportunities at MAX...100yds. 99% of the shots will be less than 75yds. All 4 rounds I'm trying get nothing but good reviews on the forums...so I'm looking for accuracy here. Ties go to the cheapest round. Once I get a good factory round that I can trust, I'll buy bulk and shoot several rounds a week.

Just like with my Rem 700...She loves 165grain corelok, haven't touched the scope or changed a thing on that rifle in 12 years. Once I got her zeroed in I never shot paper after that. I'd set up a half dozen clay pigeons and shoot them from different positions and angles to simulate any possible hunting scenerio. All I know is that if I can hit a clay pigeon at 100yds everytime even in uncomfortable form, hitting a deer would be no problem.

I'm not expecting that kind of accuracy with my 44, but I'll sure as heck have some fun with it before the EAS in September.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I'm not expecting that kind of accuracy with my 44, but I'll sure as heck have some fun with it before the EAS in September.

You would be surprised, especially with the Contender. My Model 29 is a tack driver for a revolver, it's a handload though.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I just got my packet on the mail. I'll be going after an antlerless elk this August/September in Northern MI.

Will the 44 be enough? Thinking 300grain hard cast?

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Well I just got my packet on the mail. I'll be going after an antlerless elk this August/September in Northern MI.

Will the 44 be enough? Thinking 300grain hard cast?
I've used .210 grain (handloads) for deer for over 20 years with great success. Working up a good handlaod that is "accurate" is as important shot placement.

As for a scope, I had a leupold and replaced it with a T/C 2.5 that has worked on my Ruger Super Blackhawk.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts