Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just getting into musky fishing and would like to try jigging Bondy's around Belle Isle (I'm assuming its the moat likely area to get my first musky). What is the closest, best and most importantly SAFEST launch up that way?

I normally launch out of Riverview or Wyandotte but its quite a hike at around 2-3 mpg.

Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Border patrol is at most launches these days, even in Detroit. St. Jean or Alter Road are on the north end of Belle Isle. I had a four foot muskie on just north of the Belle Isle bridge, stole my clown plug while handlining

Sent from my XT907 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Just a heads up, it's a steep launch and crappy docks

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
You can't count on the Border Patrol being there all the time. Just be smart and keep your eyes open. Never had a problem but always had someone with me.

m

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
They were on me like the Cops TV show on Wednesday night

·
Super Moderator
36,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Not worried too much about the docks unless they will gouge my boat.

Just had to ask because I haven't had the best of luck around Detroit when it comes to keeping what I have earned. I will NEVER understand how some think "hey that's a nice *fill in the blank*. I think I will take it. Screw how the true owner feels."

·
Registered
326 Posts
Elizabeth park launch is the headquarters for the Wayne county sheriff marine division. I've stayed there quite a bit overnight while bowfishing and never had a problem.

·
Super Moderator
36,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I launch at EP all the time. Just wanted to try a different area.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Elizabeth park launch is the headquarters for the Wayne county sheriff marine division. I've stayed there quite a bit overnight while bowfishing and never had a problem.
And yet people still get stuff stolen from their vehicles. I've been one of them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
St. Jean is not bad, as noted before it is steep and crappy docks but usually BP is there....

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Go figure, was at St. Jean til midnight Saturday...... not one coast guard or border patrol in sight

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
I would not trust any crap hole in Detroit to launch
Not the people not the guards not the cops not the CG or BP no one.
You'll be a stat in no time, there good at the paperwork after the crimes been committed but not to be there when you need them.
Don't be cheap
For the extra $20 it'll cost you in gas you better of at Trenton or Elizabeth
That $20 could save you thousands in the long run.

·
Super Moderator
36,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tried St. Jean launch this morning for musky... I'm new to musky fishing but it looks like a good area to fish.

I won't be launching there again any time soon. Not because I had a bad experience with people, but I had to drive 30 miles by car, drive in downtown Detroit towing a boat and pay $10 to launch (I consider this a bit much when I look at the docks.) Then get stuck in construction traffic on I-75.

I know I was warned about the docks, but I figured they would be longer than 5 ft! I was fishing solo, so I had one hell of a time keeping the boat tied to the dock and off the trailer at the same time. With help it wouldn't have been bad.

Anybody know how far it is from Riverview launch to Belle Isle? Looks like about 18 miles one way on Google maps. Might make the trip by boat sometime when I have a buddy to split the $50 gas bill.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Heck, we should get together, I usually launch at Riverview too, was going to hit St. Clair today also, but couldn't find any body else to go. I've made the run from Riverview in my 19' Spectrum and the GPS trip log said about 40 miles there and back, problem is it takes about 40 minutes to get up there at full throttle (32mph SOG) if its calm! :yikes: Don't pass up fish that are in the mid river area also, I got 3 last week at the south end of Grassy Island and another east of Mud, caught this one jigging walleye in front of BASF a few years ago, not bad for 6lb fireline! :SHOCKED::coolgleam

1 - 18 of 18 Posts