Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching some of these hybrid willow cuttings available and noticed some variance between them. I am trying to find a variant that grows tall, and has limbs that remain low. the ones I was looking at were at Hramor Nursery and Coldstream. The variant that FastGrowingTrees.com sells seem to be like what I am looking for but very expensive. I also like the ones at Karsten Nursery but they are also expensive. These can be trimmed to be more hedge like but still get to 35-45 ft. Has anyone found live stakes similar to this type of Hybrid for a reasonable price?

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
And, if it gets too tall, cut it off! Then turns bushy and sends up more shoots, plus you can take the cuttings and plant them off of that for more future trees! But having a few “rows” of them as layers, some can be tall while others are shorter to give you the best of both worlds and just keep rotating the cuttings. Just an option.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guys, I was just wondering the same thing, Hramor suggested they be tubed.
Unfortunately they are out of 3-4 footers.
Muskenbow, any browsing issues?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Not that I know of. The rodents chewed on them at the base over the winter and I lost a few. I put some hardware cloth around the base and it took care of it.
Thanks Guys, I was just wondering the same thing, Hramor suggested they be tubed.
Unfortunately they are out of 3-4 footers.
Muskenbow, any browsing issues?

·
Banned
5,220 Posts
I had planted some five or six years ago. I got them from Karstens. They were expensive and came in plastic sleeved rooted in potting mix. I put them in pots with potting mix for the summer and put them in the field in the fall.

They were placed to block the view into a two acre field from the neighbors fence row. I put two rows of twenty about 8 feet apart.

I have heavy browse pressure and so had to welded wire cage each one. Some I didn't get cages on right away got browsed and rubbed heavily and stunted. So yes, that is expensive to cage them.

In the second picture, some of the low branches are shrubs growing among them.

These pictures are July this year. They are growing 10 feet a year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts