Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
He shoots for Indian Creek in the NWTF World Still Target Championships. Most pellets 3" circle at 40 yards.

I pattern pretty extensively, him another level,, I take wind and temp in effect. Him Not only those barometer, humidity, moon phase etc and tracks and correlates data. Lol
So it is a competition about shotshell reloading I guess? Like everyone loads their own shells?

·
Registered
10,742 Posts
So it is a competition about shotshell reloading I guess? Like everyone loads their own shells?
No factory shells provided by different mfgs and competitors choose. Hevi shot dominated for years now Winchester longbeard are breaking records every year.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Army is going to DSL or Durable Solid Lubricant applied during the manufacturing process. There are side by side photos of bolt wear with DSL v. CLP; the results are pretty amazing. Waiting for a civilian version to come out soon.

Until then, anything you use in cold weather, use sparingly. I like CLP, Frog Lube, RIG, and especially the Michigan product Metalloid's Duck Hunter's Delight out of Sturgis. Stay away from WD-40 in it's original formulation. It just doesn't hold up for very long. Rem oil can get a bit gummy in low temps, use veeeerrrry sparingly. Hoppes seems to be fine in moderate amounts too, as does dry Graphite lube.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'll also say CLP, been using it for about 10 years now. But like has been said, minimal in cold temps (wipe off after applying) and more in the mid summer heat when shooting clays. I shoot an 1100 and haven't had any issues since using CLP. Before that was hoppes or remoil.

·
Registered
160 Posts
That is the best penetrating oil you can get. Will free up almost any rusted bolt. The next best thing is a flame wrench. Need to watch seals. It will expand them. People use to use it in air cylinders that were leaking past the seals, it would last to the end of the shift.
Ok.. I use it as a cleaner/lube. I don’t soak the gun down like a would a rusty bolt. Just wipe off the excess and a light film stays behind. I’ll remember about the seals thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
I will second Gibbs. Stuff is awesome, never had a issue and been using it for years. Just like the Frank's red hot slogan, I put that **** on everything! It's great to have in the garage, in the truck and trailer.

Oil shouldn't cause issues with a pump, it's manually operated. If it's not cycling you are having bigger issues. Just gotta rack it like ya mean it!

·
Registered
10,742 Posts
Looks interesting. I'll give it a shot.
In all honesty I trust this guy with all these types a question
Looks interesting. I'll give it a shot.
Like I said my friends a chemist and brings his nerdy side to firearms. Theirs plenty of YouTube videos comparing this to other lubes.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
In all honesty I trust this guy with all these types a question

Like I said my friends a chemist and brings his nerdy side to firearms. Theirs plenty of YouTube videos comparing this to other lubes.
You can sort of tell with the precision application that they're serious about their product. That or clever marketing. But i'm a huge fan of placing the oil EXACTLY where it's needed and not "spray and pray". Testimonials seem authentic too. Now to find some...

·
Registered
707 Posts
I’m a pump shotgun guy but with that said I think what your looking for is a “dry lube” I could be wrong but I think it would work good for you

·
Super Moderator
37,505 Posts

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
You only need to lube the shiny spots. (Where mating parts rub under pressure) just a dot of this on the shiny spots is all I use:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=tw25b&rh=i:aps,k:tw25b
If you have spots that need oil, Mobil 1 0W-20 or Quantum Hot Sauce reel oil. Their grease is really good stuff too.
Looks to me like somebody figured out that a few pennies worth of automotive lubricant can be repackaged in 1.5 oz containers and sold as firearms lubricant for $20.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
When I hunt below 0, I run dry.
Coldest so far was mid 30's below 0.

Clean the gun with an evaporating cleaner, and go.
I used starting fluid from a spray can.

Remember, these kinds of days are short, and you'll be back cleaning your gun in the house right after. You won't be running a case through it.

It wouldn't hurt to try it tonight, as it's going to be quite cold. Just put gun on porch after cleaning it dry, and fire off the rounds tomorrow if you can.

·
Registered
880 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Looks to me like somebody figured out that a few pennies worth of automotive lubricant can be repackaged in 1.5 oz containers and sold as firearms lubricant for $20.
That is why I went to Mobil 1 for all of my oiling needs, anything that needs grease, Mobil 1 bearing grease. If I need a spray I use Ballistol. Blow out any excess with an air hose.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts