Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a new steelhead rig and am wondering if any of today's monofilament lines are better than the Trilene XL I've been using forever. I understand everyone has their favorite brands but has anything revolutionary I'm not aware of happened with mono over the past few years, some new product that blows everything else away, or is everyone pretty much just using what they've always used and liked?

·
Registered
2,582 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like there's a consensus growing. I'll have to give the Maxima a try. Is there a reason everyone goes with the green?

·
Premium Member
4,744 Posts
Looks like there's a consensus growing. I'll have to give the Maxima a try. Is there a reason everyone goes with the green?
Low visibility in water. It really isn't a modern line as it has been out for some time, but it's tried and true and tends to be a bit thinner than some other lines at the same pound test. I use the 2lb and 5lb on my UL rigs and the 8 and 12lb for more conventional sized setups. The leader material is really good too and noticably stiffer than the bulk spools. I use it when using a braided main line.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Low visibility in water. It really isn't a modern line as it has been out for some time, but it's tried and true and tends to be a bit thinner than some other lines at the same pound test. I use the 2lb and 5lb on my UL rigs and the 8 and 12lb for more conventional sized setups. The leader material is really good too and noticably stiffer than the bulk spools. I use it when using a braided main line.
How is it memory-wise? I have a bulk spool of 8 lb. Big Game but want to try something that might be a bit more limp.

·
Premium Member
4,744 Posts
How is it memory-wise? I have a bulk spool of 8 lb. Big Game but want to try something that might be a bit more limp.
It's great, and so too is Big Game. I really like Big Game a lot but it really isn't 8lb line, it's much thicker than that. Honestly, if I were fishing a stream with a lot of rocks, I'd probably choose the Big Game because it's really tough stuff. You can weave a basket with Big Game, but at the same time you'll be better protected from the nasty sharp stuff.

Ultragreen is very abrasion resistant as well, but not to the point of Big Game. It also has less stretch and the coils seem to smooth out after it has been wet for a bit.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, I'm gonna try it.

Reactions: tincanary

·
Premium Member
4,744 Posts
Thanks, I'm gonna try it.
It's really good stuff. You don't see Ultragreen talked about as much as you used to years ago, probably because there's virtually zero marketing behind it compared to other lines. It sells itself.

·
Super Moderator
21,315 Posts
It's really good stuff. You don't see Ultragreen talked about as much as you used to years ago, probably because there's virtually zero marketing behind it compared to other lines. It sells itself.
Not sure if it’s as nick-proof to zebras as some of the newer lines. On a float, great

I still use it today after all those decades of use, even for tippets/leaders on fly lines.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Maxima, Big Game, and P-Line fluorocarbon are my favorites. But I have been known to throw el cheapo line on a cheap reel to test it. For ice fishing I use 2 lb micro ice.

·
Premium Member
4,744 Posts
Not sure if it’s as nick-proof to zebras as some of the newer lines. On a float, great

I still use it today after all those decades of use, even for tippets/leaders on fly lines.
That smallie I wrestled out of the reeds when we were perch fishing was on 6lb Ultragreen leader. That was a fun fight. Barely had him hooked on the lip and he fell off when I went to grab him lol

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I always used Maxima when steelhead and salmon fishing the westside during my college years. Never had an issue with it and landed a lot of fish I shouldn't have. I was introduced to it while working at an outdoors store in the fishing department as my manager said it was the best. Him and I didn't agree on much but I'd give him credit for getting me started on that. I'll admit though, it wasn't always on a full spool but it was always my leader line. I was mostly drifting spawn bags, yarn, and flies if that matters at all. Never used a float back then. Fished all the big rivers, Joe, GR, PM, White, Muskegon, and Manistee.

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
Maxima Ultragreen is supple enough to cast well, and tough enough to resist abrasions more than most monofilament lines. And the stuff is just plain tough, although that is because their 10# line has the diameter of a lot of 12# lines. I've straightened a lot of hooks pulling off snags with Ultragreen.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
As it comes to mono I’m a Berkley fan boy. If I’m going to use mono I like the red Berkley XL on spinning reels. For bait casters and or trolling reels I like Berkley big game which, is also dirt cheap and pretty nick resistant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Found an eBay seller offering 600-yard bulk spools of Ultragreen for $20 shipped. That's 3 reel fills @ $6 and change per, not too bad. Most places sell the 220-yard fills for $15 or so.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts