Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to get my son a hunting knife for Christmas. I want to get him a folding knife-one especially suitable for deer-and one that will last a very long time. I have used a Buck knife for decades and have been pleased with it-just wondering what you folks would recommend?

·
Registered
607 Posts
I use Buck knives also. They hold an edge and are inexpensive. If you lose one, it's no big deal to replace it. They make one with a hunter orange camo handle. It's easy to find if you lay it down while field dressing.

Mike

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
The outdoor edge swing blade is a good knife for a beginner, use the sharp point for around the anus and the dull point for opening up the deer. Once inside the deer the dull point still works well for cutting the windpipe without the chance of poking his hand. Not the highest quality steel but , a decent knife. I like my old buck knife the best and you couldn't go wrong with a rapid river either as mentioned.

Reactions: Fisherking

·
Administrator
18,074 Posts
Yep! I agree with the Buck Knife! I got my three kids each a special edition Buck for their first years hunting. They still love 'em!

<----<<<

Reactions: kroppe

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The outdoor edge swing blade is a good knife for a beginner, use the sharp point for around the anus and the dull point for opening up the deer. Once inside the deer the dull point still works well for cutting the windpipe without the chance of poking his hand. Not the highest quality steel but , a decent knife. I like my old buck knife the best and you couldn't go wrong with a rapid river either as mentioned.
Well I'm 52 so I guess that makes me a beginner. Lol ,grew up using buck 110's great knife no doubt,but after watching a buddy use his swing blade I decided to buy one. I've only dressed and skinned one so far but I like it.

·
Premium Member
11,824 Posts
Think about a Rapid River Knife Works
Bark River Knives

Made in Michigan UP, a memory for a lifetime.
I have a buck, marbles, rapid river and of them all, the rapid river is best to me.

Reactions: FullQuiver

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Well I'm 52 so I guess that makes me a beginner. Lol ,grew up using buck 110's great knife no doubt,but after watching a buddy use his swing blade I decided to buy one. I've only dressed and skinned one so far but I like it.
No I didn't mean it like that, I got one for a gift and have used it many times including this year. I was just saying that the round tip of the other blade is great for a new hunter gutting deer. I've poked myself and cut myself on accident, takes awhile for feel for a new hunter is all I was getting at.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I picked up a Benchmade Grizzly Creek a couple of years ago and have been real pleased with it. I like the convenience of a gut hook for unzipping, the drop-point blade shaved my arm when it came from the factory (in Oregon) and takes an edge well, the belt / pocket clip holds strong and is durable. It's compact without feeling small, perfect for carry and field dressing and also works well skinning. This knife is not decorative or flashy, just very well made from top-shelf materials. It suits me.

http://www.benchmade.com/hunting/grizzly-creek.html

·
Registered
11,479 Posts
I picked up a Benchmade Grizzly Creek a couple of years ago and have been real pleased with it. I like the convenience of a gut hook for unzipping, the drop-point blade shaved my arm when it came from the factory (in Oregon) and takes an edge well, the belt / pocket clip holds strong and is durable. It's compact without feeling small, perfect for carry and field dressing and also works well skinning. This knife is not decorative or flashy, just very well made from top-shelf materials. It suits me.

http://www.benchmade.com/hunting/grizzly-creek.html

Good knife, but the wooden grip sucks. Gotta send mine back since it split.

I'm going to request a polymer handle that won't crack like wood.

·
Registered
10,094 Posts
Grey Wood Knife Hunting knife Blade
Buck 110. I have the 50th Anniversary model, I like it. See my avatar.

Looks good, heavy in the hand (a good thing), easy to sharpen and holds an edge, can achieve a firm and secure grip, well built. Plus it won't break the bank.

·
Banned
1,858 Posts
For folding buck 110 as said. I haven't used this knife but I like knives of Alaska fixed blades.

https://www.knivesofalaska.com/item.asp?id=38&r=store.asp?c=5
Fixed blades clean nice, but you are putting the bloody knife back in the sheath. Folding knives are more comfortable on the belt.

I have gone with shorter fixed blades lately. I don't use my buck as much because I like a drop point. Though for the first plunge when gutting a sharp blade can be good. Though a drop point when kept sharp is good.

Reactions: kroppe

·
Registered
481 Posts
I am going to get my son a hunting knife for Christmas. I want to get him a folding knife-one especially suitable for deer-and one that will last a very long time. I have used a Buck knife for decades and have been pleased with it-just wondering what you folks would recommend?
I have used a Buck for 40 years, great knife. I got a Gerber for Christmas last year and used a couple weeks ago on a buck. It worked worked very well.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts