Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to obtain a hand auger to take with me on years/times like this. I know there are a lot of good ones out there but I have no experience with hand augers. A power auger with 3" of ice is a little bit of overkill. And there are some times when I wish I could be more stealthier (is that a word?). Thank you.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I have a mora 6in and it is great for cutting through ice. I know people will say the lazers are better, which they prolly are. The mora is around 40-50 bucks. I think the lazers are around 70-80. At my local bait shop they are 74.99. Hope this helps.

Redneckman

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have a Mora 8 inch hand auger, i'll tell you straight up IT SUCKS! They are cheaper then the lazers, but I probably would pay the extra $30 for the lazer..hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Have an old Mora 4" and a newer Strikemaster Lazer 5" both go through the ice like butter.

For panfish either makes a big enough hole.

In my experience the larger the dia., the more ice you're cutting, the more difficult it becomes. So it's a trade off between energy exerted and the size of hole you want.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
The laser is the best for the money. you can re drill the same hole with out a problem . They make one that may be better but you'll pay. I'm not sure of the name do a search it was talked about this winter. I'd go with a 6" laser. anything under 8 inches of ice it's a breeze. the larger hole is what i like. less freeze easy scoop out . easy landing fish. and easy looking down the hole. the 6" laser is something you'll have all our life and replacement blades aren't that bad and always available.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
I have two lazers, one is a big 8" that I use when I fish for pike and walleye, and the other is a 4" that I use for panfish. At first glance the 4" looks tiny, but I've pulled out nice sized gills without to much of a problem, and if you do have a problem getting them out, consider it a good problem. In my opinion unless you know you are going to be pulling huge fish out of your hole I'd only take out my 4" auger. I can fly through 18-20" of ice in relatively short order due to the smaller diameter cutting area. The only down side to the small auger is getting a metal scoop to pull out the ice shavings, but if you run the auger up and down two or three times, you can get most of it out of the hole. In a perfect world, I'd have a gas auger, but I can't justify buying one right now especially when most of the lakes I fish are occuppied on a daily basis and opening new holes all over the lake isn't all that necessary. I will say this though, I used a Husquvarna two years ago on Hubbard Lake, it weighed about three or four pounds and I had more fun cutting holes then catching fish. That auger was a dream

·
Registered
420 Posts
ANY OF THE LAZER MODELS ROCK!!!!!! i wouldn't spend one thin dime on the blue mora models even though they are cheaper

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Quote: Nils Master! Nothing Better!

I hear they are better. but for the ice your looking at. a laser is good.
nills or laser cuts at he right angle. you will love either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts