Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
St Clair, nothing else is even close for either average size or quantities.
Saginaw bay is tough to beat for quantity on frogs If we are just talking frog fishing. It has its days with size too but a 100 2.5lbers is doable. My highschoolers caught over 80 fish on frogs in a 7hr tournament day. They only weighed in 15lbs but it was one of the most fun days they had fishing.

·
Registered
12,741 Posts
I was prefishing with a buddy one time on Martiny, my goodness blow up after blow up after blow up, good ones too... Managed to boat oh 5% lol We threw about every frog made at the time... He Hayes martiny and despite it being like 90 and running out of water, it was a riot

Also that day he hooked a snapper, the biggest snapper I've ever seen in my life, this thing has personally seen dinosaurs...

We both could not muster this thing outta the water...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anywhere with duckweed and dollar pads.
Duckweed is my favorite! Good call on that. The bass seem to get the lure better in duckweed too.

St Clair, nothing else is even close for either average size or quantities.
That is a hard one I can't argue with. I usually fish for smallmouth when going there, but have couple times went after largemouth and it's fantastic!

Saginaw bay is tough to beat for quantity on frogs If we are just talking frog fishing. It has its days with size too but a 100 2.5lbers is doable. My highschoolers caught over 80 fish on frogs in a 7hr tournament day. They only weighed in 15lbs but it was one of the most fun days they had fishing.
It's crazy you said that! I was just talking to 3 of my buddies and were we're looking for a place to stay near the bay. None of us had fished it before, but heard about the great fishing there.

I was prefishing with a buddy one time on Martiny, my goodness blow up after blow up after blow up, good ones too... Managed to boat oh 5% lol We threw about every frog made at the time... He Hayes martiny and despite it being like 90 and running out of water, it was a riot

Also that day he hooked a snapper, the biggest snapper I've ever seen in my life, this thing has personally seen dinosaurs...

We both could not muster this thing outta the water...
Did the snapper come on topwater? That would have been mess trying to get it unhooked. I haven't hooked any huge turtles. The smaller one's are tough enough for me to get unhooked.

·
Super Moderator
38,247 Posts
The key to frogging St Clair or Saginaw Bay is wild celery, it holds far more fish than any other type of weed.

Reactions: Bigbass201

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Duckweed is my favorite! Good call on that. The bass seem to get the lure better in duckweed too.

That is a hard one I can't argue with. I usually fish for smallmouth when going there, but have couple times went after largemouth and it's fantastic!

It's crazy you said that! I was just talking to 3 of my buddies and were we're looking for a place to stay near the bay. None of us had fished it before, but heard about the great fishing there.

Did the snapper come on topwater? That would have been mess trying to get it unhooked. I haven't hooked any huge turtles. The smaller one's are tough enough for me to get unhooked.
I caught a giant snapper 2 years ago on frog. Saw wake coming and then unreal explosion no clue it was a snapper.for about 10xseconds. Loomis Froggin rod and 65lb braid had a workout

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The key to frogging St Clair or Saginaw Bay is wild celery, it holds far more fish than any other type of weed.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind when trying there. That wild celery holds some good smallmouth lots of times too.

For the west side guys, I don't think you can beat the lower Grand River, be it Spring Lake or the other smaller bayous. Endless acres of thick weeds.
There are quite a few areas to launch on the Grand River from the tournaments results I've seen there. Always wanted to fish there, but haven't made it there yet. Thanks for the info.

I caught a giant snapper 2 years ago on frog. Saw wake coming and then unreal explosion no clue it was a snapper.for about 10xseconds. Loomis Froggin rod and 65lb braid had a workout
That's the most wild catch I've heard of. I'm going to have to tell a couple of my fishing buddies about that. I had some cool underwater snapper footage in I think my Pigeon Lake video I posted a while ago.

·
Super Moderator
38,247 Posts
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind when trying there. That wild celery holds some good smallmouth lots of times too.
Any month with an "R" in it, + May. smallies are more than willing to come up, they just tend to be more towards the deep edge and more of a low light bite as the water warms

·
Super Moderator
38,247 Posts
I haven't used my Devil's Horses for a while. Thanks for the thought process. I do get quite a few on Whopper Ploppers, but the hook up percentage isn't always the greatest.
Put a couple suspendots on them to make them sit just a scoonch lower in the water, and harder for a rising fishes bow wake to push it out of the way. I also put heavier blades on my horses for the same effect.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I like throwing a frog because they are almost impossible to foul. But I prefer a buzzbait or a pop'r. Smallies tend to hit a pop'r more than the other two, even though the biggest smallmouth I've ever caught was on a buzzbait. And I feel the hook up rate of a buzzbait is way higher than frogs and pop'r combined and if fished right can go in almost the same thick cover as a frog.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts