Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kinds of fields have you guys had the best success for early goose season. I'd imagine cut wheat or bean fields. The corn fields usually aren't cut by then.

Does anyone have much luck in alfalfa fields.

How about hunting on ponds or lakes for early goose?

thanks, Chad

·
Registered
85 Posts
winter wheat or hay and also corn silage is a plus .and if you know some one with a sweat corn field those are good also .do ytou scouting to see where the geese are going and what they are useing buddie

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
We hunt Hay or winter wheat fields...If you can find somekind of cut corn though they are usually the best...It all depends on what the geese in your area are doing and whjat they like or are used to. I enjoy hunting water, but you have to make sure your not hunting a roost area or you won't have much luck in that area, one good bust and the geese are gone, then it's back to the drawing board to find the birds again! Good luck.

DB808

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
How 'bout "other" agriculture fields...

i.e. tomato, pickle, strawberry, etc....

There are an abundance of these types of fields around my area...just was wondering if there would be any reason for geese to use them.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Not all cut fields are accessable. I hunt turned over fields (bare dirt) if I know I will be in sight of flocks moving around.

Ken

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Last year our best early season field was a freshly planted clover field along side a standing corn field. They really liked the new clover coming up. We shot birds in that same field till they pulled the corn out in November. Year before last it was a picked black bean field...best hunting we ever experienced.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Azuki beans. :lol: Wheat, chopped corn, pickles, clover, what matters is what the geese want the morning you set up. scout. The birds will tell you what the best fields to be in are.

Will say this. There is a distinct lack of wheat this year. Many farmers are trying to take advantage of high corn prices. Ethanol don't ya know. Wheat fields this year will be the blood bath fields for the first few days.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Loincloth said:
Azuki beans. :lol: Wheat, chopped corn, pickles, clover, what matters is what the geese want the morning you set up. scout. The birds will tell you what the best fields to be in are.

Will say this. There is a distinct lack of wheat this year. Many farmers are trying to take advantage of high corn prices. Ethanol don't ya know. Wheat fields this year will be the blood bath fields for the first few days.

Not alot of wheat fields but we know your holding out with your metamora refuge hot spot.:yikes:

·
Registered
69 Posts
There's this wheat field in metamora.... ;)

Seriously. I was over at the Metamora hotspot this morning after work. I counted over 100 gooslings and quit.... there were still more.:SHOCKED:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
What wheat fields?:confused: The few out there may be the scene of a few pre-dawn rumbles come Sept. 1 as various crews try to setup in the same place.:rant:

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
I like fields that have birds in them
:cwm27:

(but that's just me)

·
Registered
270 Posts
golf course fairways are a great early season set up. if for some strange reason you cant get permission, just go on a day when its raining, way in the back nine, when the course is closed. :lol:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I am shocked to see that noone posted for oats fields, unless they are considering the wheat field as that. We have had our best early seasons on the cut oats fields. Hopefully they get cut just a few days ahead of the opener.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Loincloth said:
There's this wheat field in metamora.... ;)

Seriously. I was over at the Metamora hotspot this morning after work. I counted over 100 gooslings and quit.... there were still more.:SHOCKED:

Are the one's with radio-collars still alive? You are a lucky dog!!:D

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Do yourself a favor and find a LIMA BEAN field. If you do, I would advise buying a heavy duty game strap!

Honestly, just scout, and find a field birds are using. In the early season they can suprise you with the type of crop they will eat. If you want to shoot geese, you need to find geese. If you want to eat hay, or tomatoes then go find a hayfield, or a tomato patch.

B

·
Registered
43 Posts
simple put yourself into position to harvest more geese by putting your self in a feeder field preferably one with good cover. it doesnt matter what crop is in the field as long as there are geese using it.. it could be a picked corn field, wheat field, alfalfa field, pastures, oats, typically the easiest to hide in are corn fields because of the stalks and corn leaves you can use to cover up with and wheat if there is left over wheat subble you can cover up blinds with this really easy and blend in good.. also if you dont have blinds finding a standing corn field next to one of the options listed above is a good way to conceal yourself and fool the geese... if you cant get into a feeder field try to put your self in between the feeder field and the roost and cut them off also known as trafficing. and if you cant do that either pretty much find something else and leave those geese alone but never never never shot the roost unless they never leave that roost and you need to get them out of there and into places that you can get access too...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts