Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the last item on the list is a monster vest. Knowing how she is I'm going to need one that has good chest protection. There's all kinds out there, some with a zipper some not, some 3mil some 5mil thick. Right now I"m kinda leaning on the drake vest, there description seems to indicate that the chest is protected pretty good. Any opinions ?

http://www.drakewaterfowl.com/products/DW502.php#camo

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I've got one that I bought from Cabela's I believe, and I don't like it. Its a 3mm thickness and fastens with velcro. Initially I thought velcro would be good because mud/dirt won't jam the teeth up like a zipper, but the velcro doesn't seem to stay together too well. That being said, I bought it when my golden was young, and thought he'd grow into it. Well he's only about 60-63lbs at 3 years, so its still a little big. I've had instances in a retrieve where he gets hung up in it because it comes undone. I'd go wtih a zipper style, that drake vest looks good, and I like the idea of a padded front.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Hey Mike its like a gun its all about the FIT. Take the wild thing with ya to Cabelas or GM and try them on. You can cut the holes bigger to fit but if it doesnt fit right in the chest it doesnt matter. Mine is a zipper with a velcro flap over it. Got it at Franks in Linwood several years ago. Steve

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I would recommend one with floaters on the side, sure helps the dog swim, and overall seems to help out with their stamina on those long retrieves

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I assume the dog will be in the water. Will you be pulling him up to a boat or will he just be climbing aboard or swimming ashore? Depending on your answer, you may want to look at the vests with the floatation and the grab handles. I've got the Avery Boaters vest from Mack's and I like it alot. The Drake vests are nice from what I have seen, but I don't own one. Regardless, go with the vests that have the zipper covered with the velcro

Like others have mentioned, try them out and get the right fit in the chest and neck. You can always trim them up and get a better fit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts