Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this has been discussed but I just cant find the thread. Besides, every year there is something new. I'm asking for opinions on this subject and I will take them at their intended value :). I was going to mount an older "Lowrance Elite 5 dsi"on my sled. After searching around it seems that I can't buy just a power cord. I have to buy a transducer/power combo that is $80.00. So after adding up batteries and cables and mounts I'm just going to buy something new.

I want a duel purpose unit, primarily for the Bay, with map and topo features. I want to run it on hard and soft water so it needs to go from boat to sled. I'm not brand loyal so I would like to get the best bang for my buck; Garmin, Lowrance, Humminbird etc. etc. A five inch screen will probably do fine. So, if you were getting ready to do this which one would you buy?

·
Premium Member
3,322 Posts
I run an elite 5 HDI on ice and will go on my river boat spring and fall. My buddy just bought an elite 5 chirp, it's a really nice unit too.

This will turn into a Ford vs Chevy debate soon since they all make really nice units anymore. You would be hard pressed to buya unit you will not like. ...

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
It's been a bit since I have bought electronics. Are most GPS equipped with an internal antenna, nowadays?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I sure hope it doesn't turn into a ford verse chevy thing. I'm going to do the same thing and had the same questions. The unit Im leaning towards is the eliet 5 I believe. It's about as much as I'm willing to spend on a unit and it gives me all the options I'm looking for.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Just bought a elite 5 gold. I love it. Ill be using it in my yak and drift boat. Also I figure I could use it perch fishing and such in others boats.

·
Premium Member
3,322 Posts
I have bad eyes for anything up close. if I was in the market I would do some research on deals and spend a little more for the Elite & unless you have good eyes, the bigger screen is worth it.

It's fine seeing it in the dark shanty, but would be a problem in the sunlight out on the boat, for me anyhow...

·
Registered
665 Posts
I run an elite 5 HDI on ice and will go on my river boat spring and fall. My buddy just bought an elite 5 chirp, it's a really nice unit too.

This will turn into a Ford vs Chevy debate soon since they all make really nice units anymore. You would be hard pressed to buya unit you will not like. ...

How do like the gps? Easy to use?

·
Premium Member
3,322 Posts
I got an extremely good deal on a 5 X with no GPS I could not pass out ibuddies 5 with the church as the GPS and it works great but you need to spend the money on a good Navionics chip

·
Premium Member
29,604 Posts
I think this has been discussed but I just cant find the thread. Besides, every year there is something new. I'm asking for opinions on this subject and I will take them at their intended value :). I was going to mount an older "Lowrance Elite 5 dsi"on my sled. After searching around it seems that I can't buy just a power cord. I have to buy a transducer/power combo that is $80.00. So after adding up batteries and cables and mounts I'm just going to buy something new.

I want a duel purpose unit, primarily for the Bay, with map and topo features. I want to run it on hard and soft water so it needs to go from boat to sled. I'm not brand loyal so I would like to get the best bang for my buck; Garmin, Lowrance, Humminbird etc. etc. A five inch screen will probably do fine. So, if you were getting ready to do this which one would you buy?
I'm not a big electronics guy, and thinking the same as you. Got an elite4 that I haven't used, but only the machine itself with nothing else. Setting it up is going to cost close to a new one I think. Guess the chips are all separate? Anyway, looking around a little, and thought this looked like a good unit and deal if I was buying one, but waiting on some info as to how well it works.....[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MVYNXHK/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?tag=fisfinrev04-20"]Amazon.com: Humminbird Helix 5 DI GPS, Black: Sports & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51dRT9RLHcL[/ame]

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'll give another thumbs up to the elite 5. Use it on the boat in summer and ice in the winter. Love the big screen. Only down side is in winter its eats up a battery pretty quick. I ordered a 2 pack of 12v 9ah battery's off eBay for $28 and hooked them together in my ice pack. I can fish all day and have lots of battery left.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
man thats a good buy on the elite 5 wouldnt pass that up if ur lookin for one,i just got done pricing em out,but i called lowrances tech dept and quetioned them about the cold weather and if it had any effect on them and they informed me no problem at all with the cold,didnt want to risk it with my hds-7 off the boat so i was going to pic up the exact one,already have a flasher so just needed the chart plotter/gps for navagation ,just mounted the boat one on the sled and cant wait to try ur out friday!!good luck sorry to ramble just went through the program!!! good luck;)

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I've got the Elite 5 as well. I use it on my boat in the summer and ice machine in the winter. It works pretty good but it took me awhile to really learn how to use it effectively. Lots of features and settings to adjust to really tune it in but once you figure it out it's really nice.

·
Michigan Sportsman
684 Posts
Ditto on the Elite 5 easy on the eyes with the 5'' screen.

Franks has the power cord for around $25 plugs right in the back of the unit and run it to you battery. Also have the chip for $125

·
Premium Member
3,322 Posts
Capt Mark and I hit the bay tonight, he has been a Vexilar man ever since you had to wind them up to run.

After an hour with my Elite 5, he had it down cold and is now converted over to being a graph man.

The split zoom is the dream,one side of the screen can be set showing 12' to 17', the other side will show 0' to 17'. Have a fish come off at 9' on the way up, looking on the full screen you could see it holding there to drop the spoon back down and finish what you started. Then running the amp scope you get real time sonar that faster than seeing stuff on the graph.....

·
Registered
462 Posts
Ditto on the Elite 5 easy on the eyes with the 5'' screen.

Franks has the power cord for around $25 plugs right in the back of the unit and run it to you battery. Also have the chip for $125
What chip does Franks have for $125? Hotmaps or gold? Might swing in there today and pick one up.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
If using say an elite 5 or hds 7 can you buy an ice transducer and carry case to mount the unit to or how do you do it?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts