Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my trolling motor battery soon and wondered what people were happy with. I see Mr. Martin has endorsed a new one - is it the E-something or other, I've used the optima blue tops in the past but it was on a smaller boat with a smaller electric trolling motor.
I am pulling a 17' aluminum deep V with a 55# thrust - any suggestions, opinions?
I'm currently only getting an hour out of it at full thrust which gets me to 1.9 mph - i am thinking i should be able to get a couple more hours out of a good battery but maybe not, do i need to switch to a 24v system?
thanks in advance for any input

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
The best deep cycle I have ever used, and I've used several, are the Trogen scs225 dc. It's a 31 series wet cell that realy holds a charge for a long time. If you don't want a wet cell then look a an AGM batteriey from Cabellas or Bass Pro but they are REALY EXPENSIVE.

Keith

·
Registered
978 Posts
Riffle, can't really help ya with which battery but I know there are gel batteries and all sort's of crazy stuff out there. I would go to a bigger system for sure and it will get you trolling for alot longer. I ahve a 36volt system with just regualar marine deep cycles and I get about 16 hrs of running time and at 1.5 mph. 9000 lbs boat with 210 lbs of thrust!!!

Mark

Martin promotes the e-cell??

Reactions: Lumberman

·
Registered
909 Posts
I'm new to trolling batteries and interested in these answers as well. Over the weekend, Bass Pro had their deep cycle batteries on sale for $69 dollars and they claimed 400 charges. I would suspect that a 24V system would be better suited to your current requirements.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
There are a lot of good batteries out there, I have had good luck with Interstate.
It sounds like the problem may not be the battery, if you have to run at 100% to get the speed you want, your motor is too small. At 100% you are going to be drawing maximum Amps, If you go with a bigger motor, you can run at a lower % and draw far fewer Amps. But you may need to jump to a 24v or 36v to do that.
If you need to move at 1.9 to do what you want, maybe a gas motor would suit you better, 1.9 is pretty fast for any electric to hold for very long.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point LD, never gave that much thought, 55# has been plenty for fiddling around the lily pads and weed beds but for actual open water trolling probably inadequate. I purchased a autopilot model for this application as well and would like to eek out what i can for the year at least.
can anyone tell me how much time you typically get out of a good deep cycle running 55# at 100%, maybe its not my battery at all...

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Since you already have the motor, you might consider putting in two batteries if you have the space, just wire them for 12v.
If you are going to troll with your electric, I'd recomend just trolling with the wind, that will save a ton of juice.

I can't comment on a 55# 12 v but here is my experience with some other sizes, I ran a 24v 55# on my boat last year and at the 8 hour mark was having to turn it up to maintain speed, I upgraded to a 101# 36v this spring and have not been able to get it to show any signs of slowing, and I've run it on some 14 hour days.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a 60 pound trust 12 volt system and im pulling a 17.5 monark king and when i use it wide open fishing down at erie i usually get around 3 to 3.5 hours use. I have a cheap battery from walmart. Thinking about buying a backup battery just for when i go down to erie. Cheaper than upgrading to the 24volt system. I can only upgrade one thing at a time and this year it was a 522 lowrance gps/sonar unit. I would say you should get way more than one hour wide open. Hope this helps... good luck.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Two things to add, that haven't been mentioned. Avoid dual purpose batterys for TM duty, and look at what the reserve capasity (minutes) is - the highter the better. I put two new Minn Kotta batterys in My boat this year, they're made by Trojan. Get the best battery You can afford, this isn't a place to scrimp. C-man

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
chamookman said:
Two things to add, that haven't been mentioned. Avoid dual purpose batterys for TM duty, and look at what the reserve capasity (minutes) is - the highter the better. I put two new Minn Kotta batterys in My boat this year, they're made by Trojan. Get the best battery You can afford, this isn't a place to scrimp. C-man
geez Bob..scotty always said it was your electrifying personality that kept things running!:evilsmile ...we had optimas on out latest trade..for all their hype we got no better usage than other batteries designed for trolling motors..but did pay a few bucks more!:( ya might want to look at the new 'trolling thunder' batteries made for cabelas..pricey..but claim a bunch!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
If You look, the Trolling Thunders in Cabela's are dual purpose. As far as keeping Me running, a gallon of coffee seems to help :lol: ! C-man

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
chamookman said:
If You look, the Trolling Thunders in Cabela's are dual purpose. As far as keeping Me running, a gallon of coffee seems to help :lol: ! C-man
The Trolling Thunder® AGM dual-purpose battery combines your engine starting battery and your trolling battery into one package. Whether you need a marine battery with excellent deep-cycle performance or one that delivers high-cranking amps to turn over your main boat motor every time, the Trolling Thunder offers two to three times the power of conventional batteries. With a much lower internal resistance, its voltage during a discharge stays higher longer for more fishing between charges. It's rugged enough to be left in the boat all winter. When you winterize your boat, just bring your Trolling Thunder up to full charge, and it will be ready to go for the first weekend of fishing season. During fishing season, don't worry if the charge drops as low as 6 volts, it's built to easily recover from extreme overdischarges. All of these features are possible due to the unique thin-plate pure lead-tin technology used to manufacture the battery. You'll save money because it has a service life of up to 1,300 cycles (JIS standards). It has the highest recharge efficiency of any sealed-lead battery on the market. Capable of 100% recharge in six hours or less. Designed to resist high-impact shock and mechanical vibration. Classified as "nonspillable" battery by the U.S. Department of Transportation. Limited two-year warranty.

Trolling Thunder® AGM Batteries Item:IH-018934

$219.99

Please use the chart below to find your product and add it to cart
SOME RESTRICTIONS MAY APPLY

its all this hype that caught my eye..up to 1300 charges..leave all winter maintain strength etc...we had the opti's a little more expensive and still were life n death 1 3/4 hours to 2 hours per battery on a steady troll of 1mph to 1.8 mph....the merc pro kicker is a little nosier but gas is alot easier to refill than recharging batteries everyday or sometimes twice a day!

·
Super Moderator
37,679 Posts
Delco Voyagers have given me very good performance at a reasonable cost. I used to run a powerdrive copilot 12V 55# for days on two M27MF's in paralell.
I now use two Delco M27MF's in series to run a 70# 24V aouto/copilot Minn. I have only hit 50% charge once, in a 12 hour day of fishing in 20-25 mph winds

·
Registered
114 Posts
I pull crawlers on the bay, always with my bowmount(55lb auto pilot) at .8 to 1.4mph with the wind and have never worn my batteries down. If you want to pull cranks I think your main outboard or a kicker would be better. I use my autopilot when pulling cranks (to assist)if I am going into the waver or across and set it on a little higher speed to help keep the front from swinging when clearing lines and bring fish in. I ordered a double battery tray from Cabelas and put another battery up front so if I do go dead I have a spare. The detroit river made me learn that. My friend has also has a 12v (3 batteries)and has them wired inline or something, he says it works great. I have interstate batteries that were blems and work great for the price, you can buy about 4 or 5 of them for 1 optima or trolling thunder, personal opinion though. I have a 80lb 24v Terrova on order can't wait. Should hold up alot better on the Dr, I don't care what motor you have or 12,24,36v if you run them wide open their operating time is greatly shortened. When I run mine past the 7mark it really pulls alot of juice. Also I think you can extend your battery life if you always charge back up as soon as possible when you get home with a good charger.

·
Banned
5,167 Posts
my opinion is the gell battries are all over priced and you don't get as long running times. For the price difference you can buy the 180-225 minute reserve wet cells for half the money. I have had good luck with the trogans,diehards, excide and delco's. I am not all impressed with the optima's I ran for two years. One is now in my wife's jeep and the other for starting my 150hp outboard. With a 65lb bowmount 24 volt system the optima's pucked in about 5 hours continious trolling at speeds of 1mph-1.5mph with the wind. The other batteries mentioned pretty much last all day. The plus thing about the gells is they do recharge faster and probally last longer in terms of years you own them, but for the differnce in money you can buy the wetcells twice as often. I'm currently running the 200 minute trogans for the second year and pretty impressed so far. As someone already mentioned hook two 12 volts together positive to positive and negative to negative to increase your running time on your 12volt motor you currently have instead of investing in a new motor:)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
i use interstate and have a walmart marine as a back up .i get 4-5 hrs and run ap/cp 55 lb , the interstate was 78 and walmart was 44 i don't see much of a difference---bob

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't forget that when you check the reserve capacity of a battery to make sure its tested at a 25amp rate. Some batteries claim monster reserve capacities but are tested as a measly 15amp draw, you will see it in the small print somewhere on the battery.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
You pretty much get what you pay for with a battery. For trolling motor usage get the deep cycle or AGM. AGM is expensive and requires little maintence I believe. The standard lead acid deep cycle should be checked and Distilled water added at least twice a season to maximize battery life and extend running time. The Trojans have been the longest lasting for me. I currently have BPS batteries. This is my first set from BPS.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts