Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to upgrade my trailcams. I have 2 under $60 that work great until it drops below freezing...or at least darn near it.

Is there a camera out there under $150 that works well in the cold?

Suggestions please...

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
It has less to do with the camera and more to do with the batteries. Lithium batteries work better in cold temps.

·
Premium Member
7,670 Posts
It has less to do with the camera and more to do with the batteries. Lithium batteries work better in cold temps.

100% agree. Did a several day freezer test using Energizer Ultimate Lithiums in AA and AAA size and they consistantly fared much better than my Rays, Duracells. No noticeable voltage drop even after days and verified with a digital read battery volt checker under load.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did try the lithium cells and saw no difference. I brought them inside and viola... I know I need to start looking for better cameras period but give me some feedback on those better in cold weather.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Lithiums will make a big difference.....if you have a good camera. The cheapo cameras will eat batteries in cold weather regardless of what kind of batteries you use. The best I've found is the Bushnell Trophy Cam. I put mine out in June and leave it out till March, and never change the batteries and its still running when I take it down in March. I average anywhere from 5-8,000 pics in that time. That is with 8 AA lithium batteries.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I agree with the bushnell trophy cam. Mine are out from june til February with the same energizer ultimate lithiums. This year I have 15000 pics on one set of 8 batteries.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I agree. I have had my trophy cam out since june and it is still out now. Great camera. I also have thousands of pictures on the same set of batteries.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
18,878 Posts
My Bushnel Trophy cam is into it's second winter now and it has never failed yet running 24/7 365 days a year and I have never used anything other then plain old Duracells.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I agree with the Bushnell Trophy Cam being great as far as batter life.

I just got off the phone with Bushnell CS today and am sending 2 back for replacement due to the known runaway picture problem. My cameras took 1700 and 1450 pictures respectively in a 2 week timeframe. 99 percent of those pictures were of nothing (due to a know problem with the Sensors). My older Trophy Cam is great but the newer 119445 Bone Collector edition is not the one to buy.

To Bushnlell's credit, however, they are willing to replace them without any hassle.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I got a moultrie d55 IR for xmas, cost $99, put it out the next day, went to check it this past weekend, about 1000 pics and batteries are still at 85%. Im very happy with it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
The Moultrie cams are great for the price, but battery life isn't all that great from my experience. If you've lost 15% of battery life in one month you'll be changing batteries before the end of March, the more they drain the faster they drain. As long as you are going to check the camera at least every two months its not big deal. The big up side to the TC's is if you have a cam that you can't get to for 3 or 4 months, you don't have to worry about the batteries dying.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts