Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is just something about using a bait casting reel that I like. For light lures,drifting, or still fishing open face is fine. But for cast and retrieve always use bait casting reel. Have decided to treat myself and move up in quality from the $50 to $75 reels. Problem is,holy cow,there"s a jillion to pick from. Could you guys help me narrow the field. Was looking in the $100 to $150 range. Is that enough money to spend and get a good one? Am afraid to think of what rod to match it with. No way spending $150 plus on a rod. I am car door impaired. Most of my rods are 3 or 4 inches shorter than advertised.

·
Registered
276 Posts
all the abu garcia reels have been very good to me and range from 75$ up. the best way to keep your rods safe is to go to the hardware and buy some pvc 4 inch works well for 2-3 rods. wrap your rods in a towel and pu them in th pipe. just buy the ends for the pipe glue them on and away you go. plus you always will have a towel wiht you for your hands or spills.its a lot cheaper and sturdier then rod tubes at the store.

·
Registered
716 Posts
4 pwr -

Low profile vs round reel?

For a low profile the shimano Curado 100 is a very nice reel that's very dependable.

I can't comment much on the round reels. I don't use them very often. I have thrown some Abu's that I liked, and a Diawa Millionaire. The millionaire is out of that price range, but it was a very nice reel as well.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I just bought a Synergy Steel Titanium casting reel a couple months ago at Cabela's. I haven't used it yet but I hope to get it strung up and ready to go out here more sooner then later.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
I think he means a baitcaster, so a stradic won't fill the bill..... I kinda like the ambassadeurs, never had problems with any of em I've owned.

steve

·
Registered
59 Posts
IT Piimp is extcly right. The Shimano Stradic is better that any reel in it's class. I have a model 2000 which came with 2 spools. I use it for jigging for walleyes and for fishing steelhead. Very smooth, great drag. You won't be sorry about this purchase. No reel even close. $120

JoeC

·
Registered
851 Posts
The Abu Garcia round reels start at about $50- $60 and go straight thru the roof. I have several, a couple 5000C's, a couple 5600's and a 6500. They're all great if you have an 'educated thumb'.

·
Registered
716 Posts
You're not crazy Steve, or if you are, then I am just as nuts. What baitcaster does Zebco make anyway? I have seen some spincasters but no baitcasters. Stradics are definitely spinning reels.

4pwr - What do you plan to throw with it and do you prefer round vs. low profile? Maybe we can get closer to a good recommendatin. That is if we can get past the recommendations for spinning and spincasting reels. :confused:

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
LOL, i believe zebco does or at least did make some baitcasting reels including the Iron USA series if i remember right, maybe i just have a foggy memory, LOL.

steve

·
Registered
49 Posts
In my opinon the best baitcasting reel is the quantum energy pt... It is kinda expensive but it is worth it...If you dont want to buy an expensive rod like a st croix or g loomis you can always go with the good ol ugly stick...cabelas puts out some good rods and so does gander mountain, i have two gander series rods and both now have shortened tips from my truck doors.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like a reel where I have to move my thumb as little as possible. I Like to cast and retrieve hard baits. Usually 3/8 to 5/8 ounces. I also like to rip baits past likely spots to trigger strikes. I like a brake adjustment that I can easily change for different lures easily and stays that way. My big secret to no backlashes is adjusting the reel to the bait and of course using the thumb at the right time. I guess I would prefer low profile because the spool release is closer to my thumb. I mostly use good old #10 line,mono. Haven"t tried the new stuff. Figured that was another thread.

·
Super Moderator
37,742 Posts
Daiwa TDS low profile reel is in that price range (closer to the $150.00 cap) and the Millionaire TDX for a round one. The have the absolute best spool braking system out there. I use them in the X and Z series, which are a little pricier, but they have the same braking system. I can hand a newbie one of those and they can pick them up and cast with no fuss from the get go. The braking system is easily adjustable, and by days end people have it tweaked in to thier liking and are casting with ease.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I personally wouldn't spend that much on a reel, but if it brings in the bigguns and/or the keepers then its well worth it then. I just can't afford it :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts