Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anticipating buying a 17' to 18' boat primarily to fish the bay and maybe a few inland lakes. What brand does anyone recommend? A friend had a Lund and I liked it a lot, rode good but they are a little pricey. Have also fished out of a Sylvan but it seemed to ride much rougher.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We fish out of an 18 ft Crestliner as well. Love the boat, only recommendation is to go with a full windshield. We can get pretty wet running in the waves on the big water.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
18' Crestliner here too, love it, rides smooth 3 can fish comfortably and with a 140 Johnson 4 stroke I can get there now. Kuj mine came with a snap on canvas piece that fills in from the windshield to the floor to stop the waves, have`nt used it though it`s more fun seeing how wet I can get Joeker and Ficious :evilsmile:evilsmile When I was shopping 3 yrs. ago a Lund with pretty much the same package but a 125 2 stroke Merc was just under $30,000 mine came in at around $21,000 with a power drive Minkota on the bow, Hummingbird fishfinder (not the best one) and ergonomic seats that are real nice. Mike

·
Registered
113 Posts
one brother has a 18'starcraft one has a 18' crestliner and i have two lunds 18', 21', there all very nice boats and do very well on the bay. just by as much motor as you can so when a storm blows in you can turn and run.

·
Registered
193 Posts
'07' 17 foot Smokercraft Promag

Heres my brothers new boat that he picked up this year. I know you don't see very many Smokercrafts on the water but its been a great boat to fish out of on the bay, Handled the 4 footers pretty good. I love having the full windshield on it. I would advise not buying anything with a 2 stroke motor, Pay the extra money for the 4 stroke. And buy as big of a boat as you can afford because you will end up wishing you went bigger. This boat seems to beat us up a little bit running to are fishing spots but I believe any 17 or 18 foot will do that just because there so light. I think he paid around 19K for this one, new 07 boat bought in 08 which you may also want to do (Wait till early 09 to buy)

·
Registered
373 Posts
I went fiberglass with my current boat but I wanted a bigger water boat. Anyway I had a 17' Princecraft before and I loved it and had many praises by everyone that went out with me in it. Very well made and laid out well. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have an 18 ft tracker with a 115 on it. i like it, but I agree with the full windshield, as mine is a single console and it can get wet at times for sure. I am sure whatever you get will be great out there........enjoy!

·
Registered
2,535 Posts

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
It has 4 swivel seats and a back bench seat that flips over and is a raised platform to fish from the well is under that, to have more room for 3 people I pull 2 swivels but dont flip the bench over as that makes a step up in the middle of the boat, that means you have to lift the bench seat and lift the lid of the well while holding the fish. It`s a minor inconvenience but definitely something to look at if your buying the boat for fishing only. Also I misunderstood on the "full windshield" mine has a walk thru windshield and console but the windshield has a canvas piece that snaps to the bottom to make it solid across. Mike

·
Registered
862 Posts
In my opinion, the best boat for the Bay is "someone elses" - cheap to maintain, you don't buy any gear for it, storage is a no brainer.....:D On the other hand, I have a 17' Lund that I use in all the great lakes. High high sides keep the grandkids from falling out, fairly dry ride, sturdy little boat. I would buy another.....

·
Banned
269 Posts
Lund, Smokercraft, Sylvan, Crestliner, Princecraft, Starcraft? Ole Spike, don't listen to these guys, what you need is a vessel made for LEISURE! I can cut you a helluva deal on this bad boy right here.........................

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lund, Smokercraft, Sylvan, Crestliner, Princecraft, Starcraft? Ole Spike, don't listen to these guys, what you need is a vessel made for LEISURE! I can cut you a helluva deal on this bad boy right here.........................
Ha Ha Ha See the empty chair sitting in front of it that the owner obviously uses for kicking back and admiring his vessel. Love the old water heater he is using for a ladder to get in it. Such a craft would be useful for picking up hippie chicks though.

·
Banned
269 Posts
Ole Spike you have a good eye. You better make me an offer quick, I'm thinking about taking it out to the bay in late November and anchoring the old lady up - that way the ice can form around her and I'll just drill a hole in the bottom and I'm shantying in style. Enigma crashes this pad and there'll be hell to pay.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
He certainly wouldn't get any privacy in that thing with the wall to wall windows! Nice portholes for ventilation though.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
I don't know if it would be the best Bay Boat for the Bay to walleye fish in but you won't get wet. I know where there is one for sell and I took it out. It runs and looks great + don't leak a drop. He is asking $5000 for it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts