Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Berrien county

1996 Views 16 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  MichMatt
I'm A transplant from central Indiana. Is there any good ice fishing in this area, and is it safe after the warm up we had?
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Checked a handful of lakes in Cass county. Ice strength varies greatly in short distances. Make sure you spud your way out if you go.
Reactions: Indiana fisherman
yeah that. local lake here in VB co. had open water where I fished last Sunday. (creek fed).
Welcome to Michigan. The warm up is what we needed. With this cold snap by mid week most all of the lakes should be good to go, but the spud will still and always be your best friend. Berrien county really dose not have a lot to offer. Edwardsburg area has Eagle, Painter and Juno. Coloma area has Big Paw Paw and Little Paw Paw. You will want to take a look in both Cass and Van Buren Counties as they have quite a few lakes that offer a good fishery. Areas that have lakes within relatively short driving distance would be Sister Lakes, Paw Paw, Decatur, Marcellus. Get on the MDNR Website and take a look, they have maps of most of the lakes.
Reactions: Indiana fisherman
Thank you, definitely have a spud with me
Checked a handful of lakes in Cass county. Ice strength varies greatly in short distances. Make sure you spud your way out if you go.
I got out on saddlebag and stone lakes yesterday. I also saw a lot of open water.
How was you trip? I was on stone last week Sunday. Real cold and windy. Caught a few gills but nothing great. It was good to get out though.
Just talked to a couple of guys out on Magician, 250 yards off the boat launch said 3 to 4 inches good solid ice.
Reactions: Badluckchuck
Musket
Glad to finally bear about magician. I fish that lake all summer, and always wanted to on the ice. With being an hour drive for me and not knowing anyone to get a report from. I would hate to make the drive and there's not enough ice, I always figure since it's a fairly large lake it would be one of the last to freeze. I know it stays pretty shallow in front of the launch. Do you know if it's decent fishing in the shallower area where the ice is decent?
I am not sure I would venture out into the deeper parts of the lake just yet. Yes good fishing can be found off the launch. It is a pretty good size area and there are a few holes here and there. Myself, I like to target the crappies, good evening and night bite. Also one of the few lakes that get a good stocking of walleye and they like to cruise the flats at night.
I always figure since it's a fairly large lake it would be one of the last to freeze. I know it stays pretty shallow in front of the launch. Do you know if it's decent fishing in the shallower area where the ice is decent?
Awesome thanks for the info I would love to get into some crappie. The eyes are the main reason I fish it in the summer time. Definitely going to try to get on it Friday evening before the warm spell.
I've never fished for eyes on they the ice, what do you normally use?
Two weeks ago I went out on stone lake. 3 fish. Went by diamond lake and didn't see anyone. Got out on Juno and caught my limit. Had to wade through a lot of little ones, but caught some very nice fish. Anyone know how the ice is? Looking to go Saturday morning
I haven't been out down here since the 23rd, was thinking of going to cedar lake in Lawton if I get some wood cut today. Pretty shallow, freezes good right in front of the launch

Sent from my XT1585 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I drove by Juno and Stone after work yesterday. There were several guys out on the ice. Going to try to get out later today.
Where do you access Juno lake?
There on the south end on Juno lake road.
Thanks I see that location now. May give it a try next weekend.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.