Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for a 12ga autoloader.

Have three guns in mind and have had an opportunity to shoot all three.

Benelli Vinci 26" black- $1200

Franchi I-12 26" Hardwood $650

Stoeger 2000 26" (rifled slug barrel combo) $525

Now i know that is one hell of a range of both quality and price. And yea the Benelli is the down right whip of them all........but the others are not bad, and not as behind the Vinci as one may expect.

My dillema is I love the Benelli's performance and even like the radical style....and like all of us just don't like the price, though i am willing to pay it.

I suppose my question is for a guy who intends to shoot the gun at a turkey (deer too if i bought the stoeger), few skeet once and awhile and maybe a few trips to the marsh....do any of you more seasoned owners suspect i would have issues with either of the lesser priced guns?

Side note is all three work on the inertia drive system (that is a main feature i like).

So what do you all feel? Any of you own and or have any insight on the models and how they hold up.

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I've liked the Franchi I-12 since the first day I saw it.
Not exactly everyone's cup of tea....but I have not heard anyone say anything negative about it.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I need to relocate this to the gun area.........duuurrff, my bad.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Get the Franchi now and spend the other 600 on a deer gun. Then you will be happy. Or get the Benelli now and pick up the deer gun next fall and you'll be even happier.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tecumseh.......you know you just put it best on how i have been leaning. I think im gonna stay toward one of those two and do one of those two suggestions. My buddy picked up a HR slug gun and it looks pretty nice; for the 1 shot i fire a year with a slug i could do just good with that type of deer gun. Okay....off to the gun shop i go!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I purchased a Stoeger 2000 two years ago. I started duck hunting and couldn't justify bringing my overunder into the duck blind. I have been very happy with it so far. It is very reliable and I don't have to worry too much about it getting damaged. I have not shot slugs out of it but I can tell you that it has some heavy recoil.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
FWIW- A buddy has the I-12. So happy with it he's looking for a second I-12. I've handled it also, nice gun!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Have you considered the 1187 or the other clad version (the name escapes me) Remington has out?

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
I have not handled a Vinci so cannot comment on how it balances or handles but I have a BUL and in my opinion it is the greatest shotgun ever made.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have not looked at the Remmi due to wanting inertia action. I shot the Stoeger, Benelli and Fianchi and liked them all. My downfall is I like to enjoy looking at my gun and I really do like the Fianchi in wood trim and the modern look of the Benelli (just not its pricetag).

If anyone is interested i have a lead on 12 Stoeger 2000's with a rifled slug barrel combo for $525 shipped to your FFL. New guns with 3 yr warranty as well.

Im gonna check out the shops in a bit and pull the trigger on my wallet.....and hope to smash a bunnie or grouse with whatever i buy this weekend.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I have not handled a Vinci so cannot comment on how it balances or handles but I have a BUL and in my opinion it is the greatest shotgun ever made.
WOW! Quite an endorsement. Care to elaborate?

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well guys, pulled the trigger on the Franchi I-12. I cant wait to give it a roll this weekend.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
I would second that comment. The BUL could be the finest upland gun ever made.

I caught wind of a rumor that the NRC is going to meet and decide if they should be outlawed.;) I like my 20 so much, I'm going to buy a 12 before the ban goes into place.:)

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
WOW! Quite an endorsement. Care to elaborate?
What's not to like- a 12 gauge, 3 shot, choke tubes, 6 lbs., balanced perfectly, use it rain or shine, adjustable comb height and cast from the factory.
I just love mine. I fell in love with a good friends Winchester model 59 many years ago and when the BUL came out it was a modern version of the Win59 but you can shoot modern pheasant rockets thru it.
Those old model 59's could not take the high pressures of todays hottest field loads, the BUL is a new and improved Win 59 to me.

·
Registered
160 Posts
FWIW- A buddy has the I-12. So happy with it he's looking for a second I-12. I've handled it also, nice gun!
Absolutely love my I-12.... got mine with the 26" barrel. First thing I did was run 2 boxes of cheap 3" steel loads through it. Haven't had one problem with it shooting light loads. Just my $0.02...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well guys, pulled the trigger on the Franchi I-12. I cant wait to give it a roll this weekend.
Congratz... Mine had a ton of packing grease jammed inside the receiver. Do yourself a favor and clean all that crap out before you shoot it for the first time. Then just lightly oil the bolt slides with some break free or some sort of gun oil. Also, if you drop your first round in with the bolt open and let the bolt slap shut be sure it is completely closed. The bolt didn't always completely close before it was broke in and would not eject the spent round properly. Thus making it a very nice looking single shot. After hunting all waterfowl season and running a couple hundred hot steel loads through it I haven't had a problem. Still bump the bolt forward though just to double check ;) Hope this helps..

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would second that comment. The BUL could be the finest upland gun ever made.

I caught wind of a rumor that the NRC is going to meet and decide if they should be outlawed.;) I like my 20 so much, I'm going to buy a 12 before the ban goes into place.:)
Help a brother out... Who makes the BUL ?? :confused:

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Help a brother out... Who makes the BUL ?? :confused:
Benelli.

Scott G. has given some of the good things re the BUL. So I'll add a couple more.

I think Benelli underestimated the demand for a 6# 12 GA auto with the proven Inertia recoil system. They were in pretty short supply when I bot mine 18 months ago.

I shoot left handed so the Benelli shim system which provides for three drop adjustments plus two cast setups is a biggy. Plus the the safety system is reversible to LH. Many of the other brand autos aren't -ie. Franchi 11-48 etc. It balances pretty well in my hands and is easy to carry. Its pretty much weather proof and I like mine for long slogs Out West after roosters and sharpies. Also very useful at the end of block and drive maneuvers in SoDak cornfield. A two-shooter isnt enough often.:) Also works as a December season grouse gun here too.

Its digested everything I've ever put into it including some pretty lumpy LW skeet reloads. IME far more reliable than A-5s, 1100s, 11-87s, various auto Winchesters, etc etc. IME a Benelli will hold its value better than any of the copies and is simply a superior gun design in the first place. I know a guy who has had nothing but trouble with the Stoeger.

NB

·
Registered
712 Posts
I bought a BUL and never really took to it. I traded it in on something else at Williams Gun Sight a couple months ago. It's still up there according to their website if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I suppose buying the shotguns is like buying a dog. Price doesn't always guarantee anything....but it does improve your odds that your product will do its job. Some farm dogs do great, some suck. Many known bloodline dogs do great.....some don't.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts