Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
Schantz is a dangerous place for my MasterCard. Glad to see business going to the independent local shops.

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
And broken down cases of every thing so you can buy a box to try.

My daughter only shoots 1 1/8 ounce 2 3/4" (must bean awesome shot) and usually finding a box is hard. At this place they had Winchester, Federal, Remington in 2, 3, 4's...

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
If the argument is that 3.5 makes the dead bird more dead, then why not shoot 3.5” tungsten and kill the dead bird even more deader yet?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
If the argument is that 3.5 makes the dead bird more dead, then why not shoot 3.5” tungsten and kill the dead bird even more deader yet?
because 3.5 tungsten weights to much to fit shotgun shells specs. gun would blow up.

That's why boss shells can get away with heavy loads in 2 3/4 shells.

tungsten is right up there with lead in regards to weight.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
because 3.5 tungsten weights to much to fit shotgun shells specs. gun would blow up.

That's why boss shells can get away with heavy loads in 2 3/4 shells.

tungsten is right up there with lead in regards to weight.
People load 3.5 tungsten all the time. Tungsten is actually much more dense than lead. You could shoot ducks with #9 TSS and most would completely pass through. I’ve killed turkeys at 70+ with #9 TSS out of a 20ga

back to the point though. If the rationale is 3.5 is deadlier and that is what matters to you , then you need to carry that as far as it can go and shoot the most dense shot you can purchase. If you say tungsten is not needed, then can you really say a 3.5” shell is?

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
I can kill geese with a 3.5 steel at a range I'm comfortable with. It works. I don't need to change it.

I can kill ducks and geese at a shorter range with 3"3's or the 20. This is better used at the managed areas where the zones are smaller and not Muskegon. I could kill birds more dead with a 3.5" at 15-35 yards, but there's no need.

At 70 yards do you need to hold high to account for pellet drop? Or off to the side for cross winds?

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
I don't mind recoil but the one time I shot a 2 3/8 ounce turkey load was enough.

·
Registered
33 Posts
IMHO:

1. Find a gun that shoots where you look (fits properly)

2. Take the time to test pattern your gun, load and chokes at the distance you intend to shoot until you have a combination that gives you a uniform and consistent pellet distribution

3. Practice regularly - sporting clays, skeet, 5 stand, etc

4. Pellet density matters - steel is fine in many situations but higher density materials (bismuth, tungsten) are better at retaining and delivering energy downfield

All the other stuff matters but probably to a lesser degree

If the 3.5" steel load fills out your pattern nicely and is effective, then by all means. Same can be said for a 2-3/4" load of higher density materials

Lastly, pay attention to recoil, especially with the lighter weight inertia guns. Even those who are not recoil sensitive will develop bad habits with heavy loads (flinching, head lifting, etc)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
What I don't get is how the birds know I'm carrying the 20 and work to 35-40 yards, then the next hunt I break out the cannon and they land 15' away...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
People load 3.5 tungsten all the time. Tungsten is actually much more dense than lead. You could shoot ducks with #9 TSS and most would completely pass through. I’ve killed turkeys at 70+ with #9 TSS out of a 20ga

back to the point though. If the rationale is 3.5 is deadlier and that is what matters to you , then you need to carry that as far as it can go and shoot the most dense shot you can purchase. If you say tungsten is not needed, then can you really say a 3.5” shell is?
you are correct, I have reloaded many different 3.5 in shells in my MEC press. Including heavy metals.

however, tungsten 3.5 shells are pointless, there is more buffer and wad than necessary. the same amount of tungsten shot will fit in a 3" shell with less buffer. they are longer, that is the only difference. again this is why BOSS shells are heavy in such a short shell.

·
Registered
334 Posts
you are correct, I have reloaded many different 3.5 in shells in my MEC press. Including heavy metals.

however, tungsten 3.5 shells are pointless, there is more buffer and wad than necessary. the same amount of tungsten shot will fit in a 3" shell with less buffer. they are longer, that is the only difference. again this is why BOSS shells are heavy in such a short shell.
I may be missing something, but tungsten and bismuth have different properties. Boss is copper coated bismuth.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've owned two Benelli 12 gauges; an M1 Super 90 and currently an M2. The only thing I don't like about the M2 is the fact that you can't lengthen the stock at all due to it being hollow but that's a Benelli thing. Other than that, no reason you shouldn't buy the M2 over the SBE. All 3.5" shells do is put more steel in the air while pounding the snot out of you. The 3.5" shells just cost more, they don't kill more birds. I shoot 1 1/8 oz Federal 3" 2's and BB's for ducks and geese through a Kicks High Flyer Xfull choke.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
I may be missing something, but tungsten and bismuth have different properties. Boss is copper coated bismuth.
i have to do some patterning with the Boss 20ga this summer. Anecdotal, but the 2 days we shot the boss 20ga shells this year out of a LM, there were noticeably more misses them with Kent Bismuth for about the same cost.

Reactions: Wallis

·
Registered
68 Posts
i have to do some patterning with the Boss 20ga this summer. Anecdotal, but the 2 days we shot the boss 20ga shells this year out of a LM, there were noticeably more misses them with Kent Bismuth for about the same cost.
More misses with them, than the Kent?

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
More misses with them, than the Kent?
Yep

Kent Bismuth maybe 2/3 shots, same with the 12ga. Boss, maybe 1/5. Guessing the pattern compared to the Kent is much tighter

Reactions: BruceS

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
My 16 loves Hevi Bismuth, but the Kent 5's seem to require a lot of followup shots. Hopefully Boss works well as options are limited with a barrel that's about as thick as conduit.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Yep

Kent Bismuth maybe 2/3 shots, same with the 12ga. Boss, maybe 1/5. Guessing the pattern compared to the Kent is much tighter
We’re you using the same choke tubes with both types of shells? Boss shells need a tight choke since they pattern more like lead. My brother in law found that out the hard way after crippling wood ducks up north for two days, then switched back to steel and started killing birds stone dead just fine. My little brother shoots boss out of a full choke and it’s been working great for him.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts