Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to purchase a new shotgun. I've pretty much decided on a Benelli. Just looking for some opinions and thoughts on the M2 vs the SBE 3? Besides the 3" vs 3.5" is there much difference in these guns? I put this post in the waterfowl forum because 90% of the time this gun will be used for waterfowl hunting.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I am sure you have shouldered both guns? Benelli.....own an original black eagle(2005)absolutely no problems. All original and still my gun of choice. Never shoot 3.5 any more, but there if I want to. Great gun.....now with that said shot an A400a few times this year and WOW what a great feel for me. I really like the way it pulls up. I would and will buy one if I need to replace the Benelli. I personally prefer 26” barrel, swinging out of a layout boat and ground blinds feels better. Not to mention the price difference. Good luck

·
Registered
345 Posts
M2 28" is my absolute favorite gun. I've owned them all and the M2 is my go to. I run an extended range Patternmaster in it for literally everything. Skeet, doves down south, waterfowl and everything in between.

If I had it to do over again, I would've bought a 26" since I always run the extended choke tube.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,423 Posts
Absolutely love knowing 100% that I can kill the spread skirters with $16 a box 3.5" steel if needed. Had several late season hunts at Muskegon where they would not close and I was able to walk out with birds.

If you can handle the guns do it. I was amazed how the same gun with a 28" barrel was a dog but a 26" barrel handled perfectly.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Picked up a new M2 this year after wearing out my old Benelli 1.
I've seen 1000s of snow geese die above me and if you know how to shoot
you wont ever miss the 3.5, cheaper shells too.
Bought mine at Schantz in Otsego nobody beat his price.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Absolutely love knowing 100% that I can kill the spread skirters with $16 a box 3.5" steel if needed. Had several late season hunts at Muskegon where they would not close and I was able to walk out with birds.

If you can handle the guns do it. I was amazed how the same gun with a 28" barrel was a dog but a 26" barrel handled perfectly.
All 3.5” does is offer a bigger payload at the same speed as 3”. You’re not getting “more power”. You’re throwing more shot at a bird to make up for shooting errors.

·
Registered
345 Posts
All 3.5” does is offer a bigger payload at the same speed as 3”. You’re not getting “more power”. You’re throwing more shot at a bird to make up for shooting errors.
exactly. Plus, due to recoil, it generally slows and lessens the accuracy of follow up shots.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
932 Posts
And the extra shot you are throwing is at the back end of your pattern. Don't know too many people who miss birds because they swing to far in front.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

Arguing against a larger payload is a tough argument to make....

Larger payloads = less Crips, faster kills with shots that are on target and a slight advantage in regards to pattern density. ESPECIALLY while goose hunting, this is beneficial.

Anyone who doesn't want that is..... arguing for the sake of being stubborn. Or a lightweight that cant handle a 3.5 inch shell.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Arguing against a larger payload is a tough argument to make....

Larger payloads = less Crips, faster kills with shots that are on target and a slight advantage in regards to pattern density. ESPECIALLY while goose hunting, this is beneficial.

Anyone who doesn't want that is..... arguing for the sake of being stubborn. Or a lightweight that cant handle a 3.5 inch shell.
Or someone who shoots well enough to not need 3.5”. 3.5” just makes up for shooting errors. That’s it.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Or someone who shoots well enough to not need 3.5”. 3.5” just makes up for shooting errors. That’s it.
The pattern diameter does not change out of the same choke when testing 3.5 vs. 3.

I also don't think 10% extra pellets will increased your shot string enough to "correct" poor shooting.

Increasing payload does not decrease your margin of error. Increasing payload stacks the deck in your favor to put birds down effectively when on target, again, especially with bigger tougher birds.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
The pattern diameter does not change out of the same choke when testing 3.5 vs. 3.

I also don't think 10% extra pellets will increased your shot string enough to "correct" poor shooting.

Increasing payload does not decrease your margin of error. Increasing payload stacks the deck in your favor to put birds down effectively when on target, again, especially with bigger tougher birds.
I used to shoot 3.5” back in my younger days. I haven’t shot in years and if anything I now shoot much better. I don’t miss it one bit. Shooting is all confidence. So if it makes you feel confident then knock yourself out.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I used to shoot 3.5” back in my younger days. I haven’t shot in years and if anything I now shoot much better. I don’t miss it one bit. Shooting is all confidence. So if it makes you feel confident then knock yourself out.
Just like anything there is a time and a place for it.

·
Registered
932 Posts

When you shoot a pattern, the gun barrel is stationary. When shooting at live birds the gun barrel "should" be moving. Going to longer shells can ONLY add shot to the back end of the shot string. I am quite certain that the majority of missed shots are behind the bird. Adding more shot to the back end of the shot string will never correct the majority of misses.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I own both an M2 and a SBE2. IMO you can't go wrong with either one. When I hunt the SBE2 is my go to gun. That being said I never shoot 3.5 inch shells. The main advantage to me of the SBE2 is the way that it breaks down for cleaning. When you take the barrel off of the SBE2 it exposes the carriage better and allows for easier access to clean the slide rails. But either way you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
When you shoot a pattern, the gun barrel is stationary. When shooting at live birds the gun barrel "should" be moving. Going to longer shells can ONLY add shot to the back end of the shot string. I am quite certain that the majority of missed shots are behind the bird. Adding more shot to the back end of the shot string will never correct the majority of misses.
Get out of here with logic and common sense.

·
Registered
472 Posts
If 3.5 inch is what you want buy a 10ga. but I would stay with 3" or 2 3/4 I shoot whichever one I have at the time and no difference between the two.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts