Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like a launch off of Main below Moores dam. Can I launch there and any idea if the Smallies are in that area. Thanks.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The launch is actually at River & Hillsdale. I've never seen a boat anywhere near the downstream side of the dam. I've waded around the dam and fished along the river trail to Washington Ave and have only caught largemouths. White rooster tails are money.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Too shallow below dam for a few hundred yards. However you can still navigate your way around that stretch below the dam with ease. There are some good fish in there. Mix of large and smallies, pike, cats, carp. You can go up the Red Cedar for a ways too. Seems to be dredged out.
Good luck

·
Registered
14,019 Posts
Back in the 1980's, we used to hammer the Cohos down there. I think it was usually in late September, or early October. They came in thick, and a lot of them were still pretty chrome. I don't think that happens anymore.

I have fished the runs below the dam in summer before. I caught Smallmouth, and some little Walleyes. Nothing of any size.

·
Registered
596 Posts
In that case, you should be able to run from the dam south past Grand Pointe Marina. I'm sure there are plenty of smallies in that stretch but I'd look for more rocky areas to increase your odds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts