Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, before I even start on this subject... yes, I know there was sewage dumped in the lake after the blackout...

Now that it was said, does anyone ever fish there just for fun through the ice? I would be tossing everything back but since I live less than two miles from it I would like to try it.

Does anyone on here icefish there and if you do, do you mind sharing a few starting points. The fish I am targeting would be crappies and walleye.

Feel free to send me a PM if you would like.

I just want to kill a few hours after work fishing during the week... on the weekends I'm at LSC.

Zob

G

·
Hey Zob Zob I talked to you earlier this year. We e-mailed each other. I live near the boat launch.I noticed some holes out there the other day. I dont know what they were fishing for but someone was out there. I have fished down by Sandys Marina before. I didnt have any luck but I only tried a few times. The thing with Belleville Lake is the water has a lot of current. I am to afraid to venture out far. I will give it a shot closer to the shore. I fished Ford lake last year in the park off Huron River Dr. I caught a few but the bite was lite. Let me know if you want to go. Buzz
;)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Buzz,
We'll have to go sometime next week. I checked out the area around Sandy's Marina and walked out on the ice and heard a decent thud and promptly walked back. I think it will be real safe by next week. The ice did appear pretty thick. I first walked on it two weeks ago. If there wasn't a dam right there I would be fishing already.

I guess we'll have to make our own reports as nobody on here seems to fish that lake!

Anybody???

Zob

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Try the French Landing area. There's a couple drop offs and some brush and weed beds.

Last year when Crappie USA held their tourny at Belleville, I saw a few boats spend a lot of time there.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Belleville lake can be very tricky with ice conditions. Be very careful even if the ice is good. The Huron river channel runs through the center of the lake and there is a constant flow of water under you. Last winter was the first in 8 or 10 years that I can remember feeling safe. If you do fish in the French Landing area, give yourself plenty of room from the dam. The ice shifts alot near the dam. I've never heard of anyone going through but I'd rather be safe than take a dip. I fished near the dnr boat launch last winter and had low success rates. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
French Landing is that the restaurant?

Have any of you tried by the bellville rd. bridge threw the ice? I seen alot of people there fishing in the summer some do real well for small mouth around the rocks.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry Buzz,
I just checked in for the first time in a couple of days, I was out today on LSC. Tomorrow I will be out there again. We'll have to go out sometime and try Belleville during the week.

Zob

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I have caught hundreds of fish thru the ice on Belleville.

That was my home lake growin up, and I spent many many winters ice fishin that lake. I could walk out my door down the hill, and step on the ice, and go icefishin evryday after school.

Back about 15-20 years ago....there used to be a shanty city every year on the lake.
Some days there would be a hundred people at "the spot".
We always had our plywood shanty out there every year.....and spent many many hours in it. We caught loads of panfish out of there and its where I cut my ice fishin teeth!

Then, the winters got a bit warmer.....and for a few years in a row, you couldnt ice fish the lake at all because it didnt freeze all winter. I moved away after that...and now 15 years later, I dont think anyone ice fishes that area anymore.

I think it is because no one really trusts the ice anymore....Im sure there are still fish there....and Ive often thought about goin back and trying during the recent cold winters....it may also be that the dnr doesnt unlock the launch gate on huron river drive during winter...Im really not sure.....

One thing I do know, is that many parts of that lake dont really ever freeze....and there was always open water in certain areas. The spot I mention below, was trusted by many many fisherman back then, and we never had a problem, even with our permanent shanty's.....HOWEVER....please please be careful. I have known more than a few people that lost their lives in that lake....including a couple close boyhood friends....no foolin...that lake will take you quick.

Back in the day...we caught nuthin but gills and crappies. Some days few fish, some days many many NICE fish.

You have to go to where the waters deep and the current is slow. If you walk onto the ice at the DNR launch, and walk east about 1/2 mile, thats where everyone used to ice fish. The lake gets very wide right there, and theres a deep wide basin around 25-30 ft deep.
We used to fish right in the middle of that huge open area. That big freakin mansion is right there on the north shore.

The ice will be thinner right in front of the DNR launch cause the lakes narrow there, so I wouldnt walk out in the middle there. If ya do and drill hole, your lines will hang down at a sharp angle.

You have to walk downstream to the big huge wide open area, where the ice is better and the current nil.

There is a ton of area in that basin to explore. And we have caught fish all over it. It easily will hold hundreds of fisherman, and Ive really wondered why it still isnt a popular spot.
I worked at the local bait shops for a few years, and the spot above, east of the launch, was really the only spot anyone ever ice fished that I know of.

We usually caught our gills a few inches to a few feet off the bottom. The normal 2 teardrop/waxie combo under a float.

We caught tons of crappies back then, so we also fished minnows the same way. The gills and crappies all came from the same area, and we never knew what it was till it came out the hole.

I really hope some of you guys might give this spot a go. It was a great place to ice fish, somedays you couldnt even get the bait down.

As for walleyes, I know some guys used to brave the edge ice at the bridges next to the open water. Jiggin rapalas and stuff.

I wouldnt do it tho....not even back in my daring carefree youthful days. Thats like suicide in my opinion lol. That ice is thin and the current deep and fast....no fish was ever worth that risk.

If you guys are plannin ice fishin Belleville....stay away from the bridges.

Well I hope this post helps you guys that might be interested. Go tear em up, and let me know how you did!

Hunt

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Huntnut

I remember that spot well...I spent many a night catching limits of NICE crappie from that area, Normally saw anywhere from 20-60 shanties on the ice there. I moved away from the area, and have not even thought of it in years...

Thanks, for the memories :D

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I am aware of the risks and will be extremely careful. Huntnut, that was great info you gave. Since I have the day off for MLK day (I work in the auto industry), I am going to scout a little bit with spud in hand.

Zob

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
Keep me posted on the ice conditions out there. With Grosse Ile being closed off from the public and Chemung the only other lake I know where to catch crappie on a regular basis I sure could use a good place closer to home.

G

·
I drove through the boat launch today. I saw some slush spots out there. I wish that ice was good. I live around the corner from there. I drove through the boat launch the other day and there were foot prints just about to the other side of the lake. I dont know about you but I dont want to get wet. The guy at the bait shop said that the boat launch at Ford lake has about 5" to 6" of good ice. I may give that a shot Wed morning.-Buzz;)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, Belleville is still shakey. I went out there today heard a crack and turned back around. This happened the last time I tried last week.

Zob

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
The winds seemed to be picking up some tonight. Maybe that will blow the snow off and the cold can start working the ice.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Could someone give me an idea of where a good spot is on Ford Lk. I've never fished that side of the state and will be visiting in-law's in Canton this weekend. May drop some lines. Let me know.

·
Registered
11,490 Posts
I've had many people tell me they do ok near the main boat launch at the Ford Lake Park off South Huron River Dr. You don't need a permit during the winter. I haven't done too well there, but there's always many people right out there.

The place that I've done well is toward the west end. Get on Huron Street in Ypsi, and near the ramp to I94 there's a Park n Ride. Near there, there is an entrance to another Ford Lake park ("North Bay"). Get down to the lake and check the ice thickness there and keep checking every so often to see if it's safe. Across from the Marriott is a row of Apartments leading to a point. That is an area where I've caught a lot of nice perch and average size walleye (15" to 18"). I wouldn't go north of that point though because the mouth of the huron river is down that way.

If by some chance you're into catfish (I'm not so I don't even know if they're even in season) there's an island close to this area where I seem to catch quite a few by mistake.

In case this helps, here's info on the Ford Lake Park System:
http://www.twp.ypsilanti.mi.us/recreate/map.shtml

Good luck to you.

~Rich

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Has anyone made it out to Belleville yet?

Im thinking the ice should be plenty thick by now.

Thinkin about hittin it for old times sake.

Buzz.....is the DNR launch on H.R.D. open??

Hunt

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
The DNR launch is open and when I drove past the lake the other day I did see a shanty
set up on the ice. It was about 50 yds off shore.

G

·
Huntnut-
The gate is open all the time. I havent seen it locked since they pulled the docks out. I see footprints out there all the time. Be careful the current is pretty fast there because the lake is so narrow. I think I am going to give it a try there.;) -Buzz

1 - 20 of 22 Posts