Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
636 Posts
Dude, you shouldnt keep fish from belleville lake. There was a fishing and swimming ban not too long ago because of serious contamination. I wouldnt trust eating that fish. If you didnt eat it yet, just let your conscience go and toss it. Belleville is nasty water. it is a nice eye, but them fish are toxic. I mean, look at its color and all the spots all over it.

·
Banned
848 Posts
Cant be any worse than eating walleye from the detroit river, which collects all the crapola from Belleville via the Huron river, and the Rouge river / Ecorse creek, and all the crap from lake st. clair (which gets it from the nasty Clinton river and all the industrial polluters from saginaw river), as well as all the industrial polluters on Detroit river, and so on and so on....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dude, you shouldnt keep fish from belleville lake. There was a fishing and swimming ban not too long ago because of serious contamination. I wouldnt trust eating that fish. If you didnt eat it yet, just let your conscience go and toss it. Belleville is nasty water. it is a nice eye, but them fish are toxic. I mean, look at its color and all the spots all over it.
the lack of color is becuase it had been dead for awhile when I took the picture. The ban on swiming was a high bacteria level during the hotest part of the summer. That was attributed to dead plant life and high water temps. The spots were only on the scales and not in the meat. I have seen those on perch and walleye that I have caught from a lot of different lakes. If you have ever read the dnr's fish advisories you probaly woudn't eat any fish you catch.
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/FishAdvisory03_67354_7.pdf

Have you ever fished belleville lake? Where do you fish? check the dnr guide and see what precautions you should be taking

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Nice 'eye mhawk21912! It's been a while since I've fished Belleville for walleye, but I never caught one that big there. Did you get it from shore or in a boat?

·
Banned
636 Posts
I have fished belleville lake a hundred times. I have tons of luck out there on the eyes and bass. I know that the dnr guide shows belleville is a good fishery and the fish are good to eat. I just figured with the ban on the lake that fish might not be too healthy. Good fish, maybe I'm being a bit overcautious.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
We haven't been on Belleville at all this year and I've never been lucky trolling Ford for eyes. We get our's usually off harnesses and bouncers. Nice fish!

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
hey Nice EYE!!!!! ya had to figure with all the plants and as big as the crappie,cats,bass and musky get there, has to be some dandy walleye..was she deep water..or weed wally?..never fear, been chowing down on lower huron river fish for near 6 decades..... I Glow alitte..:lol: but thats probably from the amount and choice of beverage...not the fish!:evilsmile

·
Registered
14,155 Posts
the lack of color is becuase it had been dead for awhile when I took the picture. The ban on swiming was a high bacteria level during the hotest part of the summer. That was attributed to dead plant life and high water temps. The spots were only on the scales and not in the meat. I have seen those on perch and walleye that I have caught from a lot of different lakes. If you have ever read the dnr's fish advisories you probaly woudn't eat any fish you catch.
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/FishAdvisory03_67354_7.pdf

Have you ever fished belleville lake? Where do you fish? check the dnr guide and see what precautions you should be taking

Hey, Mike. If you change your mind, I will take that fish off your hands. A little hot Peanut Oil will fry any bacteria to death. :lol: Nice fish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts