Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im an absolute beginner when it comes to salmon. I would like to give it a shot this fall. Any advice on equipment or technique would be greatly appreciated. Im not looking to go hi tech or high dollar just maybe a simple set up that will give me a chance to get bit. I have a lifetime of bass and walleye experience just looking to try somthing new and dont know where to begin. I have a 10 ft okuma steelhead rod but thats about it. Thank in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Click on SEARCH FORUMS at the top of this page type in salmon and the river you'd like to fish. TONS of info Available. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Cast a glow Cleo off the pier right at dusk and dawn. Cast a Jr thunderstick in a deep hole in the river. Retrieves are typically faster than walleye fishing.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Get some 14 or 16 pound fishing line on a reel with a good drag. Tie on a circle spawn hook. Attach floating spawn to hook. Add a couple splitshot about 14-18 inches above hook. Cast it on the upstream side of a hole. Let it tick bottom as you drift it through hole. Repeat. Spinners also work in rivers. About #2 mepps.
Off pier, use 3/4 oz spoons. Blue silver, green silver, or glo green in low light.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm a newbie myself about to head out in a couple weeks for the first time. Talked some buddies into fishing with me for my bachelor party weekend. Figured even if every single one of us get skunked, I would rather do that then go out to the bars or whatever. Starting to get really excited

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
G
I'm a newbie myself about to head out in a couple weeks for the first time. Talked some buddies into fishing with me for my bachelor party weekend. Figured even if every single one of us get skunked, I would rather do that then go out to the bars or whatever. Starting to get really excited

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have to say i was guite disappointed with my first impression of the salmonfishing crowd. Never been so disrespected as a beginner in a new outdoor activity as i was trying my hand at salmon. I was fortunate to meet a few guys that could see me struggling and willing to show me the way they were filling their stringer. I will say that though i haven't perfected the technique but i did get to feel the thrill of the fight!! All i can say now is dont underestimate the power them. I was far from ready for all that. I felt like i was the guy at the bar running my trap but when i got what i was looking for i wasn't ready:confused:. Kinda snuck up on me. I hope that dirty fish gets eaten by a bear!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have to say i was guite disappointed with my first impression of the salmonfishing crowd. Never been so disrespected as a beginner in a new outdoor activity as i was trying my hand at salmon.
Homestead brings out the best characters. It's almost more fun to people watch than fish.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Homestead brings out the best characters. It's almost more fun to people watch than fish.
Those same "sportsmen" are the reason I always carry a trash bag in my backpack. I can't tell you how many times I've filled it with empty beer cans, 5-Hour Energy bottles, propane tanks, etc.:mad:

·
Registered
34 Posts
and yet a third newbie question (thanks for all the answers so far, by the way)...

Getting all amped up to go on this trip and I think I've got the basic gear pretty much covered. Is there anything that is just a "must have" that most folks (especially new people like me) might not obviously think about right away but is good to have?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
and yet a third newbie question (thanks for all the answers so far, by the way)...

Getting all amped up to go on this trip and I think I've got the basic gear pretty much covered. Is there anything that is just a "must have" that most folks (especially new people like me) might not obviously think about right away but is good to have?
Bug spray, sun screen, head lamp, rain jacket, stringer. These are the items I have extras of, and I loan to my unprepared buddies most often lol!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Skip bug spray and invest in a thermacell, best thing since sliced bread. I rarely ever use spray anymore and I used to be a 99.9 deet guy. They work awsome when standing still and still work good while moving. Just clip on back of your waders and your good to go. At camp just leave it running and poof no skeeters around.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Don't forget a good pair of scissors..... Seems like that is the one thing that comes up missing every trip... Mine are tied in a lanyard in my bead bag.... They still get taken

·
Registered
785 Posts
Check out the thread Salmon Fishing Tips in the SW Rivers forum. A funny and sarcastic look at what not to do when salmon fishing. I am sure some of the old timers on this forum could contribute...

Reactions: TriCitySpartan
1 - 20 of 23 Posts