Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a big ice fisherman. Want to learn how to make ice flys for this year. First I want to ask what are the best flys to use for gills in MI? Second what is the best website to order supplys from? Also what's the difference between flys and ice flys ? If there is a differnce? Any Information will be very helpful
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I'm a big ice fisherman. Want to learn how to make ice flys for this year. First I want to ask what are the best flys to use for gills in MI? Second what is the best website to order supplys from? Also what's the difference between flys and ice flys ? If there is a differnce? Any Information will be very helpful
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

the best flies for ice fishing are nymphs or stuff that mimic burrowing mayfly nymphs.. there are a few other things to add besides the nymphs explained at the link below on different aquatic insects any ways msot are tied on jigs of like 1/64-1/100 of a ounce.also with bead and lead eyes lashed to a hook so what ever you find works the best with the gills.. seen some real buggy creations that i did not know what they were that worked better then what i could tell what they were... the difference between ice flies and flies is there the same thing just different use for each one respectfully. so no difference. also try www.hookhack.com for supplies. here is that link that talk about what panfish eat...best of luck...

http://www.in-fisherman.com/2013/06/01/fishing-for-panfish/

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I do very little ice fishing anymore, but, still tie for a few friends. The flies they ask for are usually small buggy flies sparsely tied on #12-16 std. wet fly hooks. Generally in black with a little flash on the back, and hackle palmered for legs. Best of luck.

D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts