Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking for some recommendations of rod/reels/setups for a beginner fly fishing for steelhead.

Any tips would he awesome. I'll be looking to primarily float fish but swinging isn't out of the question.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
364 Posts
Go with a 10ft 7wt of your choice (TFO, Redington, and St. Croix make great intro rods), and a Ross CLA (the CLA isn't going to break the bank, and will last you quite a while).

For line, Rio's indicator, or Scientific Anglers nymph/indicator line (I can't remember which one it's called), or SA's GPX. All 3 are a 1/2 line heavier, and will make roll casting with an indicator much easier.

Look for a rod that is medium/medium fast action with a softer tip (to help sheild lighter tippet). A 10ft rod will make indicator fishing a little easier.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Go with a 10ft 7wt of your choice (TFO, Redington, and St. Croix make great intro rods), and a Ross CLA (the CLA isn't going to break the bank, and will last you quite a while).

For line, Rio's indicator, or Scientific Anglers nymph/indicator line (I can't remember which one it's called), or SA's GPX. All 3 are a 1/2 line heavier, and will make roll casting with an indicator much easier.

Look for a rod that is medium/medium fast action with a softer tip (to help sheild lighter tippet). A 10ft rod will make indicator fishing a little easier.
Perfect! Haha I'll take this and do some shopping. Thanks!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

1 - 5 of 5 Posts