Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first trail cam pic was early October.
The second trail cam pic was from a different location about 200 yards away to the east.

Shot just after daybreak on November 16th. By far the biggest buck I've ever killed.

180# field dressed, 17" wide

This was the fifth biggest buck we had on camera this fall.

Do you think he's 2.5 YO? We've killed 1.5 YO bucks that ranged in weight from 110# up to 145#. We've killed three other bucks that weighed between 170 and 205 and guessed those to be 2.5 YO. Is it likely that a buck in Livingston Co. farmland could put on 40-50 pounds in one year?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
I originally thought 2.5 as well but after seeing those pics of the dead deer, I wouldn't be surprised if he was 3.5...I shot a nice 2.5 year old 9pt this past season and this buck definitely looks older than mine!

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Are you sure the buck in the first picture is the buck killed? Right main beam past the g3 looks a little different to me, but picture isn't clear enough to confirm.

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
The first trail cam pic was early October.
The second trail cam pic was from a different location about 200 yards away to the east.

Shot just after daybreak on November 16th. By far the biggest buck I've ever killed.

180# field dressed, 17" wide

This was the fifth biggest buck we had on camera this fall.

Do you think he's 2.5 YO? We've killed 1.5 YO bucks that ranged in weight from 110# up to 145#. We've killed three other bucks that weighed between 170 and 205 and guessed those to be 2.5 YO. Is it likely that a buck in Livingston Co. farmland could put on 40-50 pounds in one year?
Nice buck LL. I would agree with Gunfun that it doesn't look like the same deer as in your first pic. Your buck you killed looks larger than that first pic. The second pic is him I believe. Nice buck never the less. As far as the weight go's, he could definitely be 2 1/2 year old at180lb for an SLp deer. I shot a buck 2 yrs ago that dressed out at 182. He was 2 1/2. His rack was smaller than yours...Nice mount to....Congrats.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It could be a different buck in that first pic. They look very similar so I just went with it...

78 pounds of meat; talk about filling the freezer!

·
Registered
14,625 Posts
Highly improbable for a deer to achieve that level of body size as a 2.5 year old. It if it does happen it's extremely rare.

Congrats on your buck - he looks great!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I would say he is at least 3.5 based on body size and his head and decent horn mass. With him being shot when he was Im sure he probably lost some weight because of the rut. No way would I think 2.5 on that deer but that is just my observation.

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Looking at the 4th and 5th picture I would be surprised if he was a 2.5yr old. Having a dressed weight of 180lbs I would also be very surprised if he was a 2.5yr old. I would be pretty confident in saying he was a 3.5yr old, but I've been wrong before so.... :)

For reference we are in northern Clare county with decent agriculture around. I shot a deer in October 2013 that I am pretty certain was 3.5 and he was 175lbs dressed, neighbor shot a buck during gun in 2011 that was aged at 4.5 and was just over 180lbs. I know we are not in the same geographic area and it's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison but to see a 2.5yr old at 180 dressed would be a surprise.

Also for reference, when I hunted in Isabella County in the middle of corn and beans I shot a 155lb 2.5yr old and a 176lb 3.5yr old.

EDIT: Also, CONGRATS!!! It's a great looking buck regardless of age, nice looking mount too!!

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for all the nice words.

I hunted an 80 acre property in West Branch for 15 years (lots of hunting pressure all around) and am stunned by the size differential of not only the antlers at 1.5 years but also the body size with these private land SLP deer. Night and Day.

Just got done checking out my local state land spot (I go there when I want to hunt the "woods"). Can't wait for next year...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts