Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Bees

4K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  BumpRacerX 
#1 ·
#7 ·
I welcome honey bees but this year we have alot of yellow jackets in ground nests and paper nests on our decks and landscape. Those I do not welcome. They sting just to sting. We got attacked just walking across our deck by a paper nest attached to the boards under the deck. Bad Azz bees. I gave them some juice for their rudeness. The wife took care of the ground nests too.

#8 ·
#18 ·
We're grateful that we have a pretty much year supply for them. In another couple years I think we'll get past the dearth in good shape.

The big thing is read, read, read about bees. Michigan has a good state club and some locals.

#21 ·
First year here. So far I have 2 capped medium supers with 2 more on the way. Funny thing, the best producer happened while mite strips were in place. They actually started drawing comb on the inner cover that was sitting on the empty super I added for extra ventilation.
Thing look great on both, but I’m debating spinning any simply because of winter needs of the hive.
Ive read 90#’s per hive to over winter with. I’ll have that, the2 acres of buckwheat just went into bloom, plus the golden rod for fall push. But I just need to find out how many mediums for 2 deep brood chamber setup, 10 frame

Pics from last week

#23 · (Edited)
So what kinda bee do I have here. Been stung three times today. Yellowjacket?
Arthropod Pollinator Insect Pest Parasite

#31 ·
It’s in a hard to get to location inside an eave I’m waiting on some dust and then I ll drill a hole from the inside and dust em. If that does t work I ll call a professional

#36 ·
Sevin dust liberally shot into a nest-opening hole will do a really good job. I've hit 2 nests in our house/yard this week, and knocked them both out. I use a smallish plastic bottle that has a smaller opening. I fill it with Sevin dust, and squirt/shoot the dust into the openings of the nest. It is pretty simple, and effective. I do it after dark because, well........if you try to do it during daylight, you'll figure it out pretty quickly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.