Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
I don't know what your message is here in this post, however, I wish I had more bees around to pollinate my garden this year. I am not getting too good of a yield on anything this year, and I hardly see any bees or butterflies around like other years when my harvests were excellent compared to this year.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know what your message is here in this post, however, I wish I had more bees around to pollinate my garden this year. I am not getting too good of a yield on anything this year, and I hardly see any bees or butterflies around like other years when my harvests were excellent compared to this year.
No message. Just out picking blackberries, scouting the property and enjoying the day.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I welcome honey bees but this year we have alot of yellow jackets in ground nests and paper nests on our decks and landscape. Those I do not welcome. They sting just to sting. We got attacked just walking across our deck by a paper nest attached to the boards under the deck. Bad Azz bees. I gave them some juice for their rudeness. The wife took care of the ground nests too.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I welcome honey bees but this year we have alot of yellow jackets in ground nests and paper nests on our decks and landscape. Those I do not welcome. They sting just to sting. We got attacked just walking across our deck by a paper nest attached to the boards under the deck. Bad Azz bees. I gave them some juice for their rudeness. The wife took care of the ground nests too.
had a problem with paper wasps on our deck. Got one of these and haven’t had an issue.

its a fake hornet nest. Hornets kill wasps so they stay away. Haven’t had a problem last summer or this using it.
Patio Eden by Maad Brands - Wasp Nest Decoy - 3 Pack- Eco Friendly Hanging Wasp Repellent Amazon.com: Patio Eden by Maad Brands - Wasp Nest Decoy - 3 Pack- Eco Friendly Hanging Wasp Repellent: Garden & Outdoor

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
One more thing: dry it, and brew tea - cleans & restores the liver like noth'n else, so you can drink beer into an older age;)

I'll look into that, thanks. I have lots of thistle and my wife likes to make herbal teas.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'll look into that, thanks. I have lots of thistle and my wife likes to make herbal teas.
I should qualify... It tastes like... well, like other things that are good for you, kinda like grass & hay:)
Oddly, a drop of honey and a pinch of pink salt - is a total game changer. It blends well with mint also.
Your wife will pro'lly know what to do - & lucky you! An apothecary woman & a cup of nice tea = happy times!

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
I should qualify... It tastes like... well, like other things that are good for you, kinda like grass & hay:)
Oddly, a drop of honey and a pinch of pink salt - is a total game changer. It blends well with mint also.
Your wife will pro'lly know what to do - & lucky you! An apothecary woman & a cup of nice tea = happy times!

In another thread I posted these but, they work here too.

About 55# this spring.

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Is that mead bro?

That's pure honey. Some of it will become different meads for sure, time for experimentation.

We'll have more to pull yet this year.

We hope to have the four current hives over-winter and split next spring. We re-queened this spring.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Know a Few that started some Bee Hives this Year they had some grapes and other stuff that they planted and want to see if they could get bees to work with that. So Far they are doing well... Just a couple bee stings...
Newaygo1

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Know a Few that started some Bee Hives this Year they had some grapes and other stuff that they planted and want to see if they could get bees to work with that. So Far they are doing well... Just a couple bee stings...
Newaygo1

We're grateful that we have a pretty much year supply for them. In another couple years I think we'll get past the dearth in good shape.

The big thing is read, read, read about bees. Michigan has a good state club and some locals.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
had a problem with paper wasps on our deck. Got one of these and haven’t had an issue.
View attachment 779355
its a fake hornet nest. Hornets kill wasps so they stay away. Haven’t had a problem last summer or this using it.
Patio Eden by Maad Brands - Wasp Nest Decoy - 3 Pack- Eco Friendly Hanging Wasp Repellent Amazon.com: Patio Eden by Maad Brands - Wasp Nest Decoy - 3 Pack- Eco Friendly Hanging Wasp Repellent: Garden & Outdoor
Yellow jackets are hornets so doubt it will deter them from my decks. Wasps don't really bother us when they make nests. There pretty passive compared to YJs and Bald Face Hornets. Yellow jackets are trouble every year. We've been eliminating them but occasionally we miss a nest that gets full grown and loaded with them.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts