Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...first thing first was getting those nasty 5" vanes off of the bolts. This CB is a complete loaner for the season and it's about 12years old. That task was a little easy.

It's an old Horton Sportster I believe...no markings on the limbs, and the riser is a walnut. Looks pretty, I think it's only a 100lb crank with a 14" power stroke.

Anyways, using Horton brand 2219 bolts...fletched up with Vanetec HP 2" vanes. Little difficult as I don't have a crossbolt nock receiver for my bitz...however, use wrapped a small piece of vinyl tape around and made the marks at the correct spacing and then used that as the guide from arrow to arrow. While the glue was drying took one of the bareshafts through paper. Little nock high. Noticed there were no twists in the string...put her in the ol ELP Press, gave it about 10 twists and shot again. Perfect. Only using 125grain points with standard inserts...no idea what the FOC is yet.

Arrows are fletched and grouping tight offhand at 10 yards. This weapon is fairly loud and slow...definitely can see the advancement in technology with the newer models.

However, she tuned up quick. Of course before shooting I lubed up the rail, waxed up the string using the scorpion poly-something er other bowstring wax, and added 4 of the CSS limbsavers.

I have her shooting 3" high at 10 yards...it'll be interested to see where it's at tomorrow morning. Will try to have some footage up later tomorrow night, but I still have clothes to wash for the big morning.

This bow lacks the nice safety stocks of models you see today...really have to go through a shot sequence with her...making sure that once I click the safety off, that my thumb always stays below the rail as to not have that string rip of my thumb...I've heard of it happen...makes me twinge.

So, firearm season is only 6 weeks away and I should have my weapon of choice ready by then. I'm saving my private land antlerless tag specifically for firearm season, hoping to shoulder that weapon and steady those crosshairs on the heart of a big doe.

For broadheads at the moment I'm planning on using some old rocket aerohead ultimate steel 125 grain broadheads with the bacon skinner blades. they're short, sharp as heck, and I'll see how they fly tomorrow.

From what I can tell with the crossbow I'm using, max range is only going to be 20 yards...it sure does arch like crazy.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Bry- Question regarding the bitz and the nock receiver. Couldn't you have just used a regular arrow nock to fletch the bolt and then replace it with a bolt nock when you were done?

·
Banned
6,767 Posts
The Crossbow that you are describing is a Horton "Super Sport". 150 pound pull, shoots about 240 fps or so. Was the first crossbow I purchased when the disability provisions were enacted in the early 90's. Walnut, Monte Carlo stock. Has a "dial a range" knob which I only use except for initially sighting in and does not ever get used while afield. Have a Horton 4x scope single crosshairs. It is on its second set of limbs as the first showed cracks after 8 years or use or so. Horton stopped production of this model around 1997.

I have owned several crossbows but this is my favorite because of the small stature and light weight (important for me because I am disabled). I will be using this bow tomorrow morning with 2219 20" arrow w/125 vortex broadhead. It is not in pristine condition as the one you have as it gets banged pulling it up the stand and letting it down. Also, it doesn't like being dropped from the stand very much either, which I've done about 3 or 4 times.

There are , as you know, similarly size and weight crossbows bows on the market today that shoot 300 fps+ so, all things considered, I'll probably upgrade to one of those real soon. And, you are correct, it is a maximum 20-yard bow. That said, I have taken many deer with it (10?) so, it is efficient but, very limited compared to today's stuff. And, yes, it is loud..:thwaaaank!

Candidly speakling, this is probably not a very good crossbow to make an objective report on as it is so slow and loud and, today's bows are so much more technologically advanced compared to this dinasour. You would be better off using something that people would actually be buying and using on today's market, as this is like comparing a '62 Corvair to a '08 Corvette.

Oh yeah, one final note, as you said, it will take off a thumbnail in a nano-second. Just ask my neighbor. Keep your fingers under the rail!

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The Crossbow that you are describing is a Horton "Super Sport". 150 pound pull, shoots about 240 fps or so. Was the first crossbow I purchased when the disability provisions were enacted in the early 90's. Walnut, Monte Carlo stock. Has a "dial a range" knob which I only use except for initially sighting in and does not ever get used while afield. Have a Horton 4x scope single crosshairs. It is on its second set of limbs as the first showed cracks after 8 years or use or so. Horton stopped production of this model around 1997.

I have owned several crossbows but this is my favorite because of the small stature and light weight (important for me because I am disabled). I will be using this bow tomorrow morning with 2219 20" arrow w/125 vortex broadhead. It is not in pristine condition as the one you have as it gets banged pulling it up the stand and letting it down. Also, it doesn't like being dropped from the stand very much either, which I've done about 3 or 4 times.

There are , as you know, similarly size and weight crossbows bows on the market today that shoot 300 fps+ so, all things considered, I'll probably upgrade to one of those real soon. And, you are correct, it is a maximum 20-yard bow. That said, I have taken many deer with it (10?) so, it is efficient but, very limited compared to today's stuff. And, yes, it is loud..:thwaaaank!

Candidly speakling, this is probably not a very good crossbow to make an objective report on as it is so slow and loud and, today's bows are so much more technologically advanced compared to this dinasour. You would be better off using something that people would actually be buying and using on today's market, as this is like comparing a '62 Corvair to a '08 Corvette.

Oh yeah, one final note, as you said, it will take off a thumbnail a nano-second. Just ask my neighbor. Keep your fingers under the rail!
That's the name of it...super short, and yes, it is small and light. Interesting thing I noticed while shooting outside with it today....free handed it shot nearly 4" higher than at rest...broadheads impacted the same while freehanded compared to at rest when they shot three inches lower than field points.

If you're shooting those large vortex expandable, I might just move to a 125grain grim reaper. I wanted to go fixed because like mentioned, slow...very arching. However it does get the arrows there quick. I have it sighted in for broadheads right now and have them hitting smack dab in the middle at 20 yards.

I took several minutes of video this morning while shooting. Do a little monologue on the setup, beliefes, etc, then get to the shooting. Right off the bat from the sighting in my basement I was hitting at 6o'clock in the bullseye with the broadheads and 12noon with the field points...two sets in a row I had the same impacts. This pretty much follows up with the fact that I couldn't get rid of a quarter inch nock high tear.

With the 2219 bolt I don't have a unibushing or nock that would fit it. Also the blunt end of the bolt is aluminum and it looks like there's a couple of spot welds on the side of the shaft for it...didn't even try to pull it out.

While messing around with it last night I noticed the whole safety/scope rail/mounting block was loose. I had to take the whole scope off and really torque down those phillip head screws. Wasn't difficult at all...and the tears became much more consistent.

Have you been using a heavier brass insert?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts