Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my beavers out of the freezer and put them into the truck tonight, ready to roll to F&T's tomorrow morning. Ralph and Shawn have always offered great prices for my fur, and I'll split the check between supplies, my two kids, and donations to my state and national trapping associations.

Like all the trapping I've done...the spring beaver season was fun, educational and full of great sightings, scenery and experiences. To me, that is where the true value of trapping is. But along with that, I helped a couple of landowners and also got a little cash to spread around.

To be sure, I left lots of fur behind...and lots of opportunity unfulfilled. The recent blizzards really ruined the plans I had and limited the amount of days, and places, I could trap. But you know what? I like that! If trapping was too easy it wouldnt interest me nearly as much. It is the ultimate strategy game, with lots of uncontrolled variables.

My trapping season is officially done and the book is now closed. Now its on to those long-postponed chores and home improvements. Oh yeah...and on to the trap prep for the coming season, only 6-months away! ;)

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Look's like you did pretty darn good, and had fun too!!!Can't beat that:) Well done.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Looks like you had a very good beaver season, despite the pitfalls of weather. It is such a pleasure to have made your acquaintance, you're someone I'm very proud to say I know. Truly an honorable person, folks.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sprytle said:
Nice Job on the beave's NC!!

You must have a big ass freezer!!!!!:D:D:D

-Bob:)
Bob, most of those beavers are in the 40-50 lb range....but I have four freezers! (shhhhhhh...dont tell my wife whats in that bag in the back of the kitchen fridge! ;) )

Thanks for the comments, you guys! Beaver trapping is alot of hard work, physically...and its nice to get a pat on the back, when its time to relax and reflect. :)

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Very nice job NC! Looks like you were in the right locations.
Nice work this season.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
Great catch and photo, NC !!

Like Linda, I am lucky to have Bill on my list of close friends. NorthCountry is a gentleman and scholar of all things wild.

Thanks for sharing your trapping experiences and photos with us throughout the past seasons.

Do you have a breakdown on how many beaver you caught this set with the 330 versus foothold?

The one foothold and one conibear in the photo add a nice touch! Besides catching all those beaver with just two traps is definitely a major accomplishment :D .

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Congrats NC.... but i didnt think we had a spring bear hunt in michigan let alone a trapping season for them :lol: some of those beavers look pretty dang big from here haha. how much did the biggest one weigh do you remember? oh and by the way i would be more than happy to be adopted.... learn a lot about trapping and then some money to boot ha i think i could take it... congrats again.
-Craig

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
David G Duncan said:
Do you have a breakdown on how many beaver you caught this set with the 330 versus foothold?
I primarily used 330's but did pull out the footholds a few times for special situtations. I believe the footholds contributed only two beaver to my total.

I think its alot harder to catch and keep a beaver with a foothold, and at this stage of my career, I'm not really looking for that extra challenge (just being honest). But, there are definetely times when a foothold is best, especially for stealth. And sometimes you really want to slide you catch out of the trap location, so other beavers can pass through unalarmed.

405Winchester said:
NC does F&T buy them in the round or did you need to skin and flesh them??
Yes, F&T buys beaver frozen in the round. With my busy schedule, its the only way I can afford to trap. I would never have the time to put up all my beaver...probably not until I retire.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Congratulations NC. Looks like you must have really had some fun for sure.

btw, let me also be the first to congratulate you on that nice wood pile!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Backwoods-Savage said:
btw, let me also be the first to congratulate you on that nice wood pile!
Hehe...thats just whats left after 6-months of heating my house and domestic hot water.

Heres what the 44-cord supply looked like in late summer....

If you really enjoy the sight of a fine pile of hardwood, youre more than welcome to help me build it again this summer! :evil:

I'll throw in an evening of trap talk, grilled grub and cold ale to be administered around the firepit.

PM's welcome! ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Great catch and awesome place to sell them! You must have a large house to burn 44 face cord. We burn about half that with an outdoor furnace. You must lead a busy life with that pile of fur and wood!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
THUMBTRAPPER said:
So what was the final count with all you furs...How many rats, mink, beaver otter ect...
I dont even like to keep track of the numbers or the prices. That takes away from the fun of trapping to me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts