Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had (or heard) of any success around Traverse City lately? I did a search and the last discussion from that area was from May of 2000. I'm sitting on 5 or 6 points. I'm holding out till I can get transferred back there and contemplating trying that area. I have a house on the southeast side of TC and have done alot of deer hunting around there. I have never seen one while out however some of the areas along Supply Rd out to South Boardman and beyond look as though they would hold some animals. I have seen some guys running hounds once off of Karlon Rd on the west side of Grayling quite a few years back.

Thanks....John

·
Registered
30 Posts
John,
I live in Fife Lake area right on the border of GT and Kalkaska I saw a nice one this spring off of Grand-Kal road. I hear there are a few in the area. But like you, have spent alot of time afield for deer and never saw one while in the woods. this bear was crossing the road.

Hope this helps,

Mike

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
They are around the area John. I am sitting on 5 points myself and hope to draw a tag this year for the Baldwin Unit. While bird hunting this season I saw bear sign in several different areas in GT county. One spot was within 5 miles of TC. It just takes alot of leg work. Best time to scout is in the spring along wet two-tracks that cut through cedar swamps. They seem to like walking an easy route when moving around at night.
I already have my big boar picked out. Only two things need to happen for me to score on him: 1) Draw a permit. 2) For him to show himself during daylight:banghead3
They don't get big and old by being dumb.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
quackills said:
John,
I live in Fife Lake area right on the border of GT and Kalkaska I saw a nice one this spring off of Grand-Kal road. I hear there are a few in the area. But like you, have spent alot of time afield for deer and never saw one while in the woods. this bear was crossing the road.

Hope this helps,

Mike

I remember hearing of a dozen problem bears off the Manistee river near you a few years back Mike.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gents,

Thanks for all the replies, keep'em coming!! Maybe there's hope yet!

Mike,

My place is off of Supply Rd/Rasho Rd area. Do they still do snowmobile drags on Fife Lake? Last time I was in TC was 1998. Been moving around ever since. Hope to move back there in 09 after this new tour of duty I have to do.

Merry Christmas to All............John

·
Registered
30 Posts
John,

sorry it took me a bit to get back to you but to answer your question. Looking at your post I assume you are in the military so you know all about duty. Not to mention with Xmas and the new 360 I have not been online much. Anyways,Yes they still do the snow mobile rallies there. I am transferring out in 07 but trying to stay till 08. Good luck on your transfer!

Happy holidays,

Mike

·
Registered
769 Posts
I seen a couple of them cross on Hodge Rd just east of Knight Rd around the parker creek area. Also saw 2 bobcats come out of that swamp when we were working on the road.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike,

Are you at the AirSta?

We're getting drenched out here in Oregon. Quite a few mudslides and road closures. In the coastal area lots of flooding during the high tides.:fish:

John

·
Registered
177 Posts
we found bear tracks back by shisler lk. in leelanau county not far from tc and ive heard there are bears back in the pere marquette state forest around cedar.

·
Registered
888 Posts
A few years ago while bow hunting(for deer) I had two bears come in within ten feet of the tree I was sitting in.I had a few sugar beets out and the larger of the the two went right to them layed down and started eating.The smaller bear however must have caught a wiff of me and was a bit nervous.It was scent checking the area and as soon as it crossed my tracks it bolted.The other one remained for a while content with its meal.I don't know if it was the right thing to do but when it was almost dark I started talking to the bear in order to get it to leave so I could get down and head for home.The bear reluctantly got up from its dinner and as with the other as soon as it crossed my tracks and smelled me it took off as well.I waited a few minutes then got down.On my way out of the woods I could still hear the bears in the swamp crashing around.They really did not want to leave that easy food.The area I was hunting is off of Blair Townhall Rd. not to far from the fairgrounds.This was my first encounter with bears in the wild.It was very exiting and I will never forget it.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
More than most people think. There was a 400+ bear taken in 04 on the Darragh Road north of Kalkaska, the guy that took him passed on a couple of others before taking that big one...off the Manistee River near Sunset Trail is where a lot of the hound hunters train their bear dogs, so there must be bears in there...;) and they opened Leelanau County for bear hunting last year due to damage from bears, so there must be a few up there, too.

I know there's lots around Antrim County now, but that's in the Red Oak unit. I see a couple every year, and hear about them almost every day in the spring and summer.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From the responses it makes me wonder if the population is on a slight increase??

Linda, that's the first I've heard folks were having damage problems in Leelanau.

Thanks all....John

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
I don't know how many bears are down there, but I do know that several groups of very experienced houndsmen have been summer training down there for years...it's a very popular area for training.

I've been with them twice, and both times we treed bears.

Contact Rich Earle at the TC DNR office for info on bear damage in Leelanau-orchard and beehive damage every summer.

I don't think the bears in the NLP are increasing slightly-I think they've increased steadily...and that there's now a lot more bears around than people think there are. Just read the damage reports during a dry summer-although the DNR tells me that people are finally figuring out that they have to put their garbage, dog food, and bird feeders away, there's lots of damage out there every year.

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
I got this picture of a bear on my trail cam last summer. Located near Cedar in Leelanau Co.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts