Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just pulled my second bear tag (red oak) ever, last time took a 350# dressed boar with my .308. This time I really want to use my bow but have never done it. Just looking for some general tips on stand height, arrows, broad heads, and just overall gear. I am sure there are plenty of you out there that have pulled this off before so let's hear it. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I am in the same boat as u this year gonna go with archery equipment just havent made my mind up if i am gonna use vertical or crossbow yet

i am gonna put my stand at 30 yds from bait and around 18' up the tree

I am using a two blade rage with a little heavier and stiffer arrow than i use for deer

Google the killzone on bears as it is quite different from the killzone on deer and make sure the leg is forward when u shoot that heart is tucked up in there pretty far

·
Registered
957 Posts
I just pulled my second bear tag (red oak) ever, last time took a 350# dressed boar with my .308. This time I really want to use my bow but have never done it. Just looking for some general tips on stand height, arrows, broad heads, and just overall gear. I am sure there are plenty of you out there that have pulled this off before so let's hear it. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
same boat as you. have taken two witht he rifle. i am using a long bow for this one. havent archery hunted in 15 years plus but making the commintment to tag this one a long bow. depending on where i actually get one baited in i am palnning on using a ground blind as i want my son to be with me. if i have to wait 13 more years for a tag he will in his 20's lol

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have taken 6 with my now, pulling 65#,using gold tip with muzzy 125. also rage 3 blade, ive always double lunged them and they die much easier than a whitetail,most never made it passed 40 yds.-the set up--- dont go 18 feet up, this will create a poor angle of entry, 12 is fine,and the distance- 20 yds max, most of mine have all been at 15 yds, thats the fun of bow hunting right ? get close and personal and you will do well./

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have taken 6 with my now, pulling 65#,using gold tip with muzzy 125. also rage 3 blade, ive always double lunged them and they die much easier than a whitetail,most never made it passed 40 yds.-the set up--- dont go 18 feet up, this will create a poor angle of entry, 12 is fine,and the distance- 20 yds max, most of mine have all been at 15 yds, thats the fun of bow hunting right ? get close and personal and you will do well./
That's pretty much what I thought, some friends up around Gogama set up guys at 12 feet in homemade tree stands and recommend that for shot angle. I have a pile of 100 grain hypodermics that I was hoping to use though, don't want to buy more broad heads if I don't have to, think that would be alright?

·
Registered
188 Posts
That's pretty much what I thought, some friends up around Gogama set up guys at 12 feet in homemade tree stands and recommend that for shot angle. I have a pile of 100 grain hypodermics that I was hoping to use though, don't want to buy more broad heads if I don't have to, think that would be alright?
yep, those will work,, Bears have very thin skin in the kill zone,just stay off the shoulder,choose your shot ,and you will do well.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I am in the same boat as u this year gonna go with archery equipment just havent made my mind up if i am gonna use vertical or crossbow yet

i am gonna put my stand at 30 yds from bait and around 18' up the tree

I am using a two blade rage with a little heavier and stiffer arrow than i use for deer

Google the killzone on bears as it is quite different from the killzone on deer and make sure the leg is forward when u shoot that heart is tucked up in there pretty far
IMO 30 yards is way to far... when I hunted I was 15' up and less than 15 yards out, I thought it was too close but never had a bear spot me. The one I shot I stood up, draw and shot never knew I was there. I used the same set up as I do for deer, Gold tip arrows with Magnus fixed blade head.

If you record video continue another 5 - 10 minutes after the shot, then bear I shot ran about 50 yds and let out the death moan but we didn't get it recorded.

Camera was back and at a different angle, you can see me in the tree at the very end.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
When I took hunters safety for the second like 2 months ago the guy in charge of it said to use only fixed blades and not the mechanicals. But he also said quite a few things that I knew were wrong.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
When I took hunters safety for the second like 2 months ago the guy in charge of it said to use only fixed blades and not the mechanicals. But he also said quite a few things that I knew were wrong.
I think we was right on using fix blades (cut on contact), I was using mechanical the previous years for deer and was down to my last one so it was good timing for me to switch.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I bought thunderheads way back and never changed to this day. Double lung and aim for the exit would. You will never go wrong.Good Luck on a big one.,

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have taken two bears with a bow (out of ten I have taken), one with a compound and the most recent with a long bow. I prefer to shoot Gold Tip arrows and Magnus or Wensel Woodsman broad heads. The Longbow kill was from a tree stand only eight foot up and 15 feet away. The bear never knew was there. That bear I spined and It dropped in its tracks. The compound kill was a double lung shot from about 15 yards away and 10 feet up. It ran ten yards and died.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
I have always used fixed blade broadheads on bear like Simmons and Wensels. I also like my stand heights lower when bear hunting my lowest is 8 ft. And my shot distance is about 15 yards.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've shot 10 bear so far 9 with a bow,all fix blades heavyweight shaft arrows. The stands were from ground blinds up to only 12 foot , 12 yds to 17 yrds tops . Its best to let the bear settle in on the bait , enjoy the hunt and don't rush it. Good luck

·
Registered
647 Posts
My bro used Gold Tip XT Hunter arrows with a standard 3 blade Muzzy. He sat on the ground in a tent, smoke a black bear double lung. Bear didn't run off to far and he has the rug on his wall. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
417 Posts
This guy know's what he's talking about. 20 yds max but I set all my stuff up at 15 yds and no more than 15 ft high.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
DSCF2387.JPG
DSCF2923.JPG
bears are soft - whatever is working for whitetail is plenty and then some for even the biggest Black bear. All of mine have been taken with recurves or longbows in the 45-55lb range. This latest bear was shot with 45lbs and the arrow zipped through like butter at 20yds. Stand was 10' bait was 15yds. I watched him for 2hrs feeding and let him start out before I shot in case a bigger bear was going to come in.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts