Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a taxidermist and wanted to send a reminder out to all the bear hunters. Last night, I got a bear in from a client. He shot it on Sunday night, skinned it and brought it to me the next day.

While I was taking out the skull and paws, I noticed a really bad smell and the hide was green in a few spots.

How did it turn bad so quickly? Fat, lots of it.

The hunter was afraid to nick the hide and left up to 2 " of fat on the hide. This fat held in the body heat and allowed the bear to sour. Im not sure if it will slip or not, but the lesson is clear.

Get the hide off, leave as much fat as you can on the carcass and leave very little on the hide and get it cool. Had the bear been bigger(more fat) Im not sure it would be salvagable.

Ice in the chest cavity wont cool the neck nor the hams. Keep this in mind once your bear is down.

Good luck

Hugh

·
Registered
562 Posts
That's great advice!! I lost my hide to that exact cause on a boone & crockett bear I shot in 05 that I'm still sick about. I'm going to go throw up now just thinking about it...

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Best way to gut a bear in the woods?? Tried real quick looking on the internet and searching on here, new to bear, but not new to deer and everything else, just looking for quick advice on gutting inthe woods? Thanks

·
Banned
189 Posts
thanks for the info:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts