Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you all get it from the DNR?

I completed the survey today. It asked whether you agree or disagree with newly proposed harvest and tag quotas, as well as questions about bait barrels.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Is it online and available to hunters that didn't get a tag this year?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I received mine as a email today from the DNR. Haven’t opened it yet. Applied for point only last year.

·
Super Moderator
36,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it online and available to hunters that didn't get a tag this year?
I got it in an email. I am not sure about an online link. There is an option to complete an active wildlife survey on the DNR'S surveys and reports section.

I assume it would be all, or a sampling, of bear applicants who have signed up for DNR emails.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I got it and I’ve never had a bear tag before. Was also wondering why they sent it to me. I’m not gonna answer, don’t have any experience from which to base answers.

I did like the proposal for the increased LP tags it detailed. Though I was confused why they also proposed decreases in UP tags after reporting an increase in bear prevalence in the UP as well as the LP

·
Super Moderator
36,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got it and I’ve never had a bear tag before. Was also wondering why they sent it to me. I’m not gonna answer, don’t have any experience from which to base answers.

I did like the proposal for the increased LP tags it detailed. Though I was confused why they also proposed decreases in UP tags after reporting an increase in bear prevalence in the UP as well as the LP
Did you ever apply?

·
Super Moderator
36,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have only ever purchased points
I'm guessing that's why you received the survey.

But maybe they should have had a qualification question like they do for other surveys. "Have you participated in bear...baiting, hunting, etc".

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Reactions: Nostromo

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Why's that? It seems to work good.
Nope. Bear population did not warrant it. Why was those wanting to run bears coming from out of state want it easier to get on them for training. Thus the reason for limiting hunters.

Also it has caused increase in property damage and higher conflicts with humans and livestock/pets

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
What would you rather see? Points seem very fair to me. Makes planning easy.
There was nothing wrong with over the counter tags. Actually the bear population was healthy in Michigan prior to the implementation of the lottery system. It kind of went along with hunter attrition. Now you have less hunter recreation because of limiting licenses.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There was nothing wrong with over the counter tags. Actually the bear population was healthy in Michigan prior to the implementation of the lottery system. It kind of went along with hunter attrition. Now you have less hunter recreation because of limiting licenses.
Lol you think the population would remain healthy if it was OTC? Everyone and their mother would hunt bear. This is not 1950.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Things are a bit different now. You'd have a lot more people targeting bear. At least until the population wasn't worth hunting.
Not very different at all. Check the stats and bear populations from the year before the lottery to 2020. What you have is a certain group instigating higher bear numbers to make it easier to run them with dogs. Not to hunt them with dogs but to be able to run then to help train their dogs in the off season.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts