Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that many of you have been hunting, gutting and skinning for many years, but I just want to pass along something I had to learn the hard way. The day after I shot my bear I wanted to get it in, skinned and cut up so that I would have it before I came home. I took it to a place that was recommend. I explained that I wanted a rug done and was told no problem.

To make a long story short....I picked it up two days later and came home. Went to the taxidermist that had done many things for my family and always has done an awesome job. The next day I get the phone call from my brother who happened to stop by to pick up his bear skull from there. The guys who skinned it, cut the hide off wrong. Apparently they cut a big V down the chest and this would make the rug look very skinny past the front legs and then wide near the back for a rug. I was crushed to say the least. My heart was set on the rug, because she had a beautiful coat on her. I drove straight there after work to see what my options were. Thinking now what...I would have to go with a mount, but I want my rug. When the got there John (taxidermist) explained what they did and he gave me my options. He could see that this was upsetting to me and we were trying to figure out what mount would still be able to show her off, one that I could still hang on the wall. In the end he ended up saying that he would be able to give my my rug, he would be able to fix the damage done. It would take some work, but he was willing to do this for me. I did not know that there is more than one way to skin a bear and now I have learned a hard lesson...learn how to do it myself next time..:p But my thanks goes out to John and the guys that work for him. He could have just done the rug and not let me know what had happened. I just would have had a wierd looking rug.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Turkeygirl,

Your taxidermist, if he is well experienced and does a lot of bear rugs... should have pieces from scrap hides he can fit in where the dingbats messed up. Just picture a fur coat made from many hides sewn together...you can't see the seams and the fur/bear hair will blend in where the splice is made.

By the way, good job standing up for yourself!

Your old friend in the U.P.,

Rooster C.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks again for everything! I am very glad that I went with the rug. I know it will be great when finished. I'll keep you posted.

I need to get over to your side of town next time I am up there.

wishing I was up there now,

Turkeygirl

1 - 4 of 4 Posts