Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to get some recommendations on a bear guide for 2021. I have 8 points right now and i was looking at pulling red oak. I am open to public and private land, really need someone to bait and get on the bears. I wont have time to drive up very much.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Last I looked, you need 9 to pull a tag for Red Oak.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Whitetail_hunter

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Which means he's all but guaranteed next year.
I took it to mean he has 8 points with this years pp included. Not 8 plus 1, they've already awarded this years point, right?

·
Super Moderator
36,334 Posts
I took it to mean he has 8 points with this years pp included. Not 8 plus 1, they've already awarded this years point, right?

8 right now, so 9th is next May is how I take it. I hunted 2008 and 2016 in red oak (8th application got me in). Next "should" be 2024 or 2025 if points to tag holds.
I always have to think about this like I have to think about time change lol

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
8 right now, so 9th is next May is how I take it. I hunted 2008 and 2016 in red oak (8th application got me in). Next "should" be 2024 or 2025 if points to tag holds.
I always have to think about this like I have to think about time change lol
Ok, hard to keep track. I always think of how many I have as I head into pp buying time. Kinda crazy to wait 9 years to pull a tag in Red Oak. We've got alot more bears in that unit than the DNR estimates.

I'm eyeballing northern Maine right now, as well as SE Alaska for a big Blackie.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
You need to have 9 pts going into the drawing. If the OP has 8 points now, he won't have the required 9 points until 2022. He only has 8 pts going into 2021. You dont get a point for 2021 unless you are unsuccessful, or buy a point.
This is my understanding, why I said what I did.

Reactions: Whitetail_hunter

·
Super Moderator
36,334 Posts
You need to have 9 pts going into the drawing. If the OP has 8 points now, he won't have the required 9 points until 2022. He only has 8 pts going into 2021. You dont get a point for 2021 unless you are unsuccessful, or buy a point.
Maybe the requirement was less when I drew on my 8th application. Which would mean in your scenario I drew with 7 going in.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Maybe the requirement was less when I drew on my 8th application. Which would mean in your scenario I drew with 7 going in.
That would be my bet Sureshot. Red Oak point requirements have been going up for the last few years. The drawing results show a range of points it takes, it will say 8-9 or something like that. In short 100% of applicants with 9 pts drew tags, and a lower percentage drew with 8. You may have been one of the luck applicants in the lower percentage category too.

·
Super Moderator
36,334 Posts
That would be my bet Sureshot. Red Oak point requirements have been going up for the last few years. The drawing results show a range of points it takes, it will say 8-9 or something like that. In short 100% of applicants with 9 pts drew tags, and a lower percentage drew with 8. You may have been one of the luck applicants in the lower percentage category too.
Well I hope I am wrong. Its always worked out that our camp got a tag considering the hunt year as the point (I know it doesn't give you one). We must have just always been lucky.

My mistake if I was wrong.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts