Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to talking to my bosses boss the other day and as it turns out he used to work for Bear Archery back in the late 60's/early 70's. We started gabbin about Fred Bear who routinely would come and see how operations were going. He also was remembering little bits and pieces of the recurves that came through.

Long story short he mentioned that he had an old recurve that he made while working there and he gave it to me. it doesn't have any of the factory markings on it, and was painted over in some 70's looking brown metallic paint--it looks well used. It does have a serial number starting with a 2 so I am guessing it is a 72' model. And it is a shorter bow so it is probably a Grizzly like my other one--was hoping for a Kodiak like my dads...

But I think it is shootable after I get a string. I am going to try to take a doe early in the season with my compound so I will use this recurve after. I have a favorite ground blind that has a lot of foot traffic within 15 feet.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Good luck! I like to do little things just for fun to make my hunts more memorable. Next year my pet project is to use my Bear Kodiak Magnum to take a deer with my project arrows. I bought the arrows from an old fella and they are the old micro-flite with the old Bear broadheads. The entire dozen are brand new in the box they were shipped in and they have never been shot! The plastic vanes on them have dried and broke off so I have to finish stripping the vanes off and I'm gonna use turkey feathers from the tom I shot this year to re-fletch them.;)

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I've been casually looking for a Bear recurve for awhile now. Kind of got the idea it was something I would like but want something I can shoot or hunt with. Recently I've been amazed at some of the prices I've seen (eg. $175 Grizzly). Found this:

Bear Archery Info

It says that 1970's series bows started with a K. 1965-1969 started with 5-9 respectively, but outside of that it's up in the air.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dawg I have a Grizzly and my dad has an Kodiak. Go with the Kodiak. Look for one at a garage sale and people don't know what theyr'e worth.

2-Big, those arrows sound awesome. My wife decorated our cabin in moose, but I am slowing introdusing retro hunt/fish equipment and she likes the look a lot. So flu-flu feathered arrows are big on the list of need to get.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts