Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Although I am sure all of you are aware and have probably put in already, just a reminder ... wouldn't want anyone to forget ... (unless you are putting in for the Baldwin Unit - then just disregard this whole thread) :p :lol: :p

-------------------------------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 18, 2007

Contacts: David Bostick 517-373-1263 or Mary Dettloff 517-335-3014

Apply for a Michigan Bear Hunting License from April 15 - May 15;
NRC Sets 2007 Bear Quotas

The Department of Natural Resources reminds bear hunters that they may
apply for a 2007 bear hunting license April 15 through May 15.

Hunters may apply for a license at more than 1,700 license agents and DNR
Operation Service Centers statewide, or for faster service, via the
Internet at www.michigan.gov/dnr.

The cost for a bear hunting license application is $4. This nonrefundable
fee must be paid at the time of application. Online customers may use
MasterCard or Visa to charge their purchase, and then print their
application receipt from their personal computers. There is no application
fee for Comprehensive Lifetime license holders.

The 2007 bear season will include the following hunt periods: Sept.
10-Oct. 21, Sept. 15-Oct. 26, and Sept. 25-Oct. 26 in all Upper Peninsula
units except Drummond Island; Sept. 10-16 on Drummond Island; and Sept.
21-27 in the northern Lower Peninsula's Baldwin, Gladwin, and Red Oak bear
management units. An additional hunt period for bow and arrow only will
be held in the Red Oak Unit from Oct. 5-11.

Copies of the 2007 Michigan Bear Hunting Guide are available at all DNR
offices, license dealers, and on the DNR Web site at www.michigan.gov/dnr.
Online customers can also access a Frequently Asked Questions database to
receive immediate answers to questions regarding the preference point
drawing system, how to apply as a party, or other important details.

Drawing results will be posted on the DNR Web site on Monday, June 4,
2007. Notification of the drawing results will be mailed June 4 to all
applicants, except those who applied online.

Successful applicants may purchase their bear hunting license and harvest
tag at any license agent, DNR Operation Service Center or online. The
cost of the license is $15 for residents, $6 for seniors and $150 for
nonresidents. There is no license or application fee for Lifetime
Comprehensive License Holders; however, they must apply for a license.

New for 2007 hunters may apply for a second hunt period. If leftover bear
licenses are available for that unit and the hunter was unsuccessful in
his or her first choice, the hunter will be eligible to draw a leftover
bear license as a second choice.

A participation license is required for bear hunters who are not issued a
harvest tag but wish to participate in a bear hunt using dogs. Hunters may
not be issued both a bear hunting license and a participation license in
the same year. Participation licenses may be purchased at any license
agent for the same fee as a hunting license.

At last Thursday's Natural Resource Commission meeting, bear quotas were
approved for 2007. The license quota for the western Upper Peninsula (UP)
is 4,620, which is identical to last year. The license quota for the
eastern UP in 2007 is 5,290, which is also identical to last year.
Drummond Island will remain at 25 licenses. In the Lower Peninsula, the
2007 proposed license quota is 1,970 compared to 1,910 in 2006. Quotas
were increased in the Baldwin and Gladwin units to take into account the
expansion of those units.

The DNR is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and
enjoyment of the state's natural resources for current and future
generations.

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Stacked up 6 points for a potential Baldwin permit in the near future. The only dilemma now is, Stinger broadhead or .58 roundball? Decisions, decisions. :D ;) :p

·
Registered
464 Posts
"(unless you are putting in for the Baldwin Unit - then just disregard this whole thread) "

why is that? this my first year and iam in the baldwin area, i just put in for points but just wondering?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
TippinBig said:
"(unless you are putting in for the Baldwin Unit - then just disregard this whole thread) " why is that? this my first year and iam in the baldwin area, i just put in for points but just wondering?
Tippin - I was just kidding - a little humor. :dizzy: :)

Our cabin is in the Baldwin Unit - I'd like to bear hunt there. The tags in the Baldwin Unit are very limited and many people put in for them. If you had been putting in for permits every year and had ALL your preference points, last year you still only would have had a 50/50 chance of drawing a permit.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I put in for Newberry area hunt 3, it is pretty much a lock in for that hunt. A lot of people don't like that hunt because it's the same time as the dogs run. However I have a friend that lives right there and he baits for me and it works out pretty good. Besides dog meat taste pretty good if you do it in the smoker:lol: !

·
Registered
911 Posts
Sorry, But I put in for Baldwin with 7 points :evil: . If I draw this year it will be my second Baldwin hunt. I drew the first year that Baldwin was open..... before the point system.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
ALLEYES said:
Sorry, But I put in for Baldwin with 7 points :evil: . If I draw this year it will be my second Baldwin hunt. I drew the first year that Baldwin was open..... before the point system.
LOL Alleyes- you've been banking those points right along with me haven't you!!! :p :lol: :p I also have all my points as well. :corkysm55

Here's a link to the 06' drawing success rates - looks like those with the max number last year had around a 50/50 chance for that Baldwin Unit.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/05_bear_drawing_results_161311_7.pdf

I also either did not receive a permit or just took the point each year since the drawing began. Actually, I am not sure whether to take the point again or to actually put in for the drawing. I'm still think'in... :lol:

Best of luck to you ALLEYES - we will have to chat sometime about where we'd hunt. I have a couple of really nice spots/trees all picked out already. ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
AnointedArcher said:
I put in for Newberry area hunt 3, it is pretty much a lock in for that hunt. A lot of people don't like that hunt because it's the same time as the dogs run. However I have a friend that lives right there and he baits for me and it works out pretty good. Besides dog meat taste pretty good if you do it in the smoker:lol: !

:rolleyes: For those not interested in illegaly obtaining someone's dog for meat, Sept 10-14 is a dog-free time.
I would also remind those that are, when caught the cost could be in excess of $100/lb. :yikes:

Yaawwwwnnn the offhanded comments get tiresome.

Good luck to you all.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Kevin Smith said:
:rolleyes: For those not interested in illegaly obtaining someone's dog for meat, Sept 10-14 is a dog-free time.
I would also remind those that are, when caught the cost could be in excess of $100/lb. :yikes:

Yaawwwwnnn the offhanded comments get tiresome.

Good luck to you all.
Kevin, no need to get defensive about Jeff's post. You obviously don't know him very well if you took it that way. I would prefer to hunt during the no-dogs allowed part of the season so the dogs don't run the bears off of my bait. Nothing against running with dogs and I totally support those that do.:)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yeper Kevin no offense intended and sorry if I did offend you. I have no problem with using dogs to hunt bear and I also know that when choosing that time to hunt there is a possibily that the dogs will run through my area, I was just poking fun. As 2-Big stated I totaly support hunters using dogs to hunt bear.

Again, I am sorry I offended you.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I saw the laughin' smilie intending humor but I'm a little defensive (ok, maybe a LOT:lol: ) Thanks for setting me straight.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Sounds good Ibow. I have helped a friend, and my Dad when he was 72 years old get their first bears in the Baldwin unit in the last 3 years. So hopefully this year it will be my turn.;)

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
ALLEYES said:
Sounds good Ibow. I have helped a friend, and my Dad when he was 72 years old get their first bears in the Baldwin unit in the last 3 years. So hopefully this year it will be my turn.;)
Well good for you - sounds like you have put a little work into it in the past and you have a good area. Nice to hear about your dad's success especially.

I hope that this year is your year as well. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Go for the tag Chuck. You can do the other hunts when you retire;) I even know a guy that will help you get it out of the woods:D

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still got that color phase bear thing on my mind Doug - if I wait til I retire I'll be too old. :p

·
Banned
4,176 Posts
HEY IBOW...WHAT THE HECK DO YOU MEAN YOU CAN'T DECIDE WHETHER OR NOT TO PUT ON FOR A TAG OR POINT...WE HAD A DEAL...REMEMBER???

I was going to put in for a tag this year and so were you. I did my part. If my memory serves me correctly, out deal went something like this. If I got a tag, you would help me scout and bait and you would video my hunt. If YOU got a tag, I would help YOU scout and bait and again, you would video my hunt.

Man, how soon we forget.

:SHOCKED:

KPC

·
Banned
4,176 Posts
"if I wait til I retire I'll be too old"

Whats another year or two?

;)

KPC

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
KPC said:
HEY IBOW...WE HAD A DEAL...REMEMBER??? KPC
KPC ... KPC ... KPC ... Do I know a KPC?!?!? I don't think I know any KPC. Who are you??? I don't remember making any deal. :evilsmile :lol: :evilsmile

·
Banned
4,176 Posts
I'll tell you what. Start climbing the ladder at the power company and see how quickly they forget their friends?

:sad:

KPC

1 - 20 of 25 Posts