Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious as to when do people hunt bears, is it like a whitetail deer where you sit from morning till night or is it just a evening thing. Also is there a better time to put out the bait like morning or night?

Thanks,
Jason.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
My experience has been for bait hunters to only hunt the afternoon hunts. Some might go out at noon, and others go out at mid-afternoon. But make sure you hunt to last legal minute. Then climb down out of your stand and walk back to your ride...in the dark...knowing there might be a bear nearby...who's coming in for dinner. :yikes: Just sayin'.

And when you hear a twig snap is when the 'pucker factor' sets in...big time. :lol:

·
Registered
193 Posts
I shot my last bear at noon, 345 dressed. Might as well be in the bush. However; my biggest was shot @ last light, 20 inch. I hunt from the ground. Use liquid smoke or vinilla for cover sent. Keep shooting till he stops moving if possible.

Goosedown

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
If you use a guide, go with their recommendation.

I personally see no reason not to sit all day since I've seen hunters take bear at any and all times.

In 2009 my brother shot his bear at 9:30am and I shot mine at 1:30pm. So while evenings might be "best", obviously bear can and do come in to bait at all times of the day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts