Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE A BEAGLE GOING ON THREE YEARS OLD THAT HAS COME INTO HEAT. TWO THINGS, SHE IS A 13 INCH AND I WOULD LIKE TO MATE HER WITH A 14-15 INCH. I LIVE WEST OF PORT HURON. SHE IS AKC REGISTERED. I BELIEVE SHE JUST CAME IN HEAT. WHAT IS THE BEST TIME FOR BREEDING. PLEASE PM ME OR CALL AND LEAVE A MESSAGE AT 810-392-2752

·
Registered
583 Posts
Parson, I know that a NorthJeff has a lot of information on the subjuct. You might want to look up his user information and e-mail him. I'll aslo point this thread out to him.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
I have had my females bred between the 10th and 15th day after first starting to bleed. Just curious...why the 14-15"? I know some guys like to run a certain class for field trials depending upon schedules, but I just love my little 13" females, and I live and run in an area with 150" annual snowfall.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I know I should post this on the want ad section. But since there are a few "Beagle Boys" on here I thought i'd ask. I'm looking for a beagle. Papers dont meen a thing to me, most dogs cant read anyway. I just need one that hunts. I would like to get one about a year old that is started on bunnies.
I'm not looking for one for field trials, just hunting. If anyone on here knows of a young dog for sale at a good price please let me know. Thanks, Joe
I've hunted with dogs all my life now to try and rabbit hunt without a beagle is like eating cereal without milk. It just ain't right.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Mr. Beagle check your email.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry Robert (Mr. Beagle) email is for Beagle Tracker.. But if you want to email me and let me know how much stud fees are going for now please do.

Mr. BEAGLE TRACKERcheck your email.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Velgang,

I'm sure others would have strong opinions on this, but to me, papers mean everything! If a dog is bred properly, papers should narrow down the percentages of what type of dog you will end up with. For example, if the majority of those dogs in a 64 dog pedigree are bred for intelligance and handling, your percentage of getting that type of dog will be greater. Good breeding will match dogs of similar traits together to produce these traits again. Many "backyard" breeding of various dogs can give you many more times the variety of what you will end up with, with many more undesirable qualities added to the 64 dog pedigree. Think of it in terms of humans....if a large percentage of men in your past are 6'2" plus, with IQ's of over 130, odds are you probably will have similar traits as well...not always, but a good chance.

Up here, some of the best hunting dogs have come from field trial stock that were too slow to compete, or had a flaw that may never even show itself to the casual observer in hunting situations. What you get with a former field trial dog is lots, and lots of field time. The importance of the amount of field time a young dog(up to 2-3 years old) gets can never be underestimated. Basically, you can take a potentially below average puppy, give it lots of practice and field work, and make it an above average dog just for the fact that it is experienced, in great shape...a must!, and has learned to work with a handler, or been exposed to a variety of people or hunters. I think one of the main reasons the field trial dogs do so well, is that many guys who get a pup do not put the amount of field time in to make that pup the best it can be. Simply, some pups don't have a chance no matter what their abilities because field time and physical conditioning is greatly lacking. The field trial dogs usually have more than enough of both.

Also, lots of dogs around here are 10#'s overweight and it doesn't matter what the dog's natural ability, it will not do well due to it's condition. I've known of dogs that didn't perform up here, and where destroyed, while excessively overweight...doesn't make sense! I keep my dogs in field trial shape, although last year I only went to 4, and this year will only take 2/5 to trials, but only a couple in the fall. My dogs are out 50-100 times per year, an average of 2-3 hours on game.

If you can get a hold of a 2-3 year old field trial dog, you'll have a good chance that dog has been in the field 100+ times, will be in great shape, and give you a good contact for future dogs or breedings if it turns out you really love the dog.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
There are some very good breeders who have small kennels.
The point to breeding is to make better dogs.

Whether you plain to trial them or hunt them.

The goal to successfull breeding is constantly trying to find the best. Never setteling for what is close or conveniant.

·
Registered
234 Posts
NorthJeff,
I didn't mean to start a spat between dog owners. What I was trying to say is that I have had Beagles all my life some had papers and some not. The best one I ever had did not have papers. She ran her first rabbit at four months old. She would also listen when I called for her. I did have her breed one time with a freinds beagle that was also a good hunter and all the pups turned out to be good hunters.( no papers)
I was in no way saying registered dogs dont make a differance. They just dont need to have papers to make a good hunter. Time, training, care and a lot of work is what makes a good dog better. I have never been to a field trial and don't know a lot about it. Again sorry if I upset you, but this is MY feelings on registered dogs.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Velgang,

No problem at all! I was just trying to illustrate the importance of good breeding. You are right, papers don't mean a thing, but usually they are a reflection of the type of dog you will have a higher percentage of ending up with.

Over the last year or so I looked really hard to find the best male for my female. I wanted very close lines, similar confermation, and similar traits...basically intelligance and handling with a good attitude. The breeder was 6 hours a way, and I had to get my female a ride to even get her to the breeder, but I wouldn't have bred her without getting her to that 1 dog male I chose for her. No guarentees, but at least I feel it raises the percentage enough to be substantially worth it. Only time will tell, but you are right, time, training, care, and lots of work make any dog their best, I just like the good breeding to tilt the odds in my favor.

Good luck on finding the right dog. I had an awesome time with mine yesterday. They ran for 2 hours behind the house without me, and then I went out and watched/listened to them for another 2 hours. I videod the rabbit for over a minute for a friend, and saw a rabbit 4 times without even trying hard. What a great day...my 5 little buddies, a friend, just a video camera, 50 degrees, 2' of snow, sunny, no wind, and lots and lots of running!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts