Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the replies on my previous thread!

I ended up with a Raven Helix, and a 11'3" Shimano Clarus.

Took my new CP rig out for the first time today at the local dam... Went pretty good. Minimal tangles, sorta. I may be able to cast 30 feet max using the side cast, a bit shorter with my best rendition of the wallis cast... Certainly not with regularity or accuracy LOL

Regardless. I bought a selection of Pline beads. I pegged em with the little red rubber pegs. I had 2 of the 4 I lost break at the bead (6lb Pline Fluoroclear). When I got home I pulled on the leader and the line broke at the bead. Are Pline beads not so good? Maybe I need a heavier leader?

Does it really matter if you secure your bobber on the shotline, or mainline?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thats the same rod and reel I started out with as well. I enjoyed fishing with that combo. As for the line breaking at the bead check to see if the bead peg is damaging the leader when you peg it. Remember its only 6lb and it is going to break at at he weakest point, so maybe don't pull the peg through so tight. I fish beads on 6lb seagar a lot without trouble, but find that when I can get way with 8 or 10lb the stiffer line prevents tangles when running double beads, all depends on water clarity for me.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
In my experience, flourocarbon lines get brittle, and break at lower break-points after they are about a year old. If you have old line, replace it.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
As far as setting your float,I always put my float on the main line whether fixed or slip float then use a Spro ballbearing swivel tied on the end of the main line. If using a slip float I'll add a tiny bead below the float so the bead is on top of the swivel. Then I attach the appropriate weight sinker(with swivels at both ends) then add my shot line(leader) with split shot as needed then what ever I'm using for bait or bead. This way if my shot line(leader) breaks due to a snag or fish I still have my float and swivel weight(sinker).

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went again tonight for casting practice more of less. Used jigs. Got hung up... straightened the hook. This compared to the pegged bead breaking. Interesting. I'll have to play around with the beads some more. Maybe bevel the edge of the hole to the line isn't pinched against the sharp edge.

I ran the bobber on my mainline tonight and it worked much better. Had to shorten the shot line quite a bit. Also added a tiny swivel to attach leader to shotline as opposed to a uni-knot. This was also much nicer. Still using uni-knot for mainline to shotline, but I like keeping swivels to a minimum.

Sub 20 degrees tonight on the river. Ouch! that hurts the ole fingers

Reactions: Seeco and jd4223

·
Registered
678 Posts
Went again tonight for casting practice more of less. Used jigs. Got hung up... straightened the hook. This compared to the pegged bead breaking. Interesting. I'll have to play around with the beads some more. Maybe bevel the edge of the hole to the line isn't pinched against the sharp edge.

I ran the bobber on my mainline tonight and it worked much better. Had to shorten the shot line quite a bit. Also added a tiny swivel to attach leader to shotline as opposed to a uni-knot. This was also much nicer. Still using uni-knot for mainline to shotline, but I like keeping swivels to a minimum.

Sub 20 degrees tonight on the river. Ouch! that hurts the ole fingers
You can try leaving the bead peg a little bit longer on each end to create a buffer between the leader and the edge of the bead and see if that helps with the breaking issue. I have never tried the p line beads before, so I can’t speak to the possible issue of them having a sharp edge. I use trout beads, Slay’N Steel, Great Lakes Steelhead Co., and Steelhead Beads.Com, and I have never had a issue with these beads cutting my leader.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Always check the hole of beads before utilizing. Even a small bit of extra paint can cause chaffing resulting in break offs. More noticeable in lighter line.

I purchase mine from Hobby Lobby. Cheaper and easily modified to create any affect and very rarely do the center holes have any paint build up.

Also, round toothpicks work wonders and swell when wet and prevent slippage. Clip with fingernail clippers. I rarely bust off utilizing seaguar(spelled incorrectly?) In the 8-15lb fluoro ranges.

Not sure this helps but it is an issue with some of these trout beads I've noticed. I stopped buying them and just buy n bulk and catch rates didn't change.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did notice today that the Pline beads have varying hole diameters. Kinda junky IMO.

Also bought some Trout Beads.com hooks today. What a disaster! Messed up eyes, bent shanks, sharp edges on the eyes. lame. Looked like some kid hand forged them in his bedroom. Even had some wrong sized hooks in the pack...

I like the hobby store bead idea. I always thought the "trout beads" seemed a bit over priced.

Helped a guy on the river net a nice colored up buck today. Turns out he's a Pastor at a local church. Kinda neat. Nice guy to boot. Maybe some good karma LOL. I haven't caught a steelhead in quite a while.

Good luck out there!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I did notice today that the Pline beads have varying hole diameters. Kinda junky IMO.

Also bought some Trout Beads.com hooks today. What a disaster! Messed up eyes, bent shanks, sharp edges on the eyes. lame. Looked like some kid hand forged them in his bedroom. Even had some wrong sized hooks in the pack...

I like the hobby store bead idea. I always thought the "trout beads" seemed a bit over priced.

Helped a guy on the river net a nice colored up buck today. Turns out he's a Pastor at a local church. Kinda neat. Nice guy to boot. Maybe some good karma LOL. I haven't caught a steelhead in quite a while.

Good luck out there!
Ever tried Raven hooks? The Specimen is a damn good hook for the price and they work well with beads or bags.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been using the Blackbird hooks. They are pretty good. Consistent build. I'll have to keep an eye out for the Raven hooks to try sometime

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I've been using the Blackbird hooks. They are pretty good. Consistent build. I'll have to keep an eye out for the Raven hooks to try sometime
Black birds are nice hooks also. Speciman's are a straight shank, so if you're like me and don't have the dexterity to snell a hook in the cold weather, they're a good option.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Once I got good at the quick snell, I found it easier to do when cold. However I recently went back to a straight shank due to some knot issues breaking in the eyelets when snelling hooks (Gamakatsu Octopus)
Planning to head out again this afternoon for casting practice... lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts